Sliding into home rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2014
If your league has such a rule, refer to the board of directors or whoever the leadership of the league is for how they want their rule interpreted...then lobby them to get rid of it!

Amen.
I have umpired games where the defensive coach wants an out whenever a girl does not slide into home.
Even if there was no play being made.
When I point out the absurdity of this, they simply shrug and say the rule does not differentiate between a play or no play.
No--I do not give them an out--I tell them they are welcome to file a protest on my call.

Jul 24, 2013
So it sounds like I need to dig a little deeper to find the source of this sewage. Is there no ASA rule about the player sliding into the base making contact with the catcher being legal vs if they come in standing...?

Mar 15, 2014
So it sounds like I need to dig a little deeper to find the source of this sewage. Is there no ASA rule about the player sliding into the base making contact with the catcher being legal vs if they come in standing...?
I don't have the exact rule but basically the runner must slide or avoid contact.
She can come in standing but cannot contact the catcher--or any other fielder waiting to make a tag.
A runner is allowed to slide into a fielder--assuming it is a legal slide--and if that slide knocks the fielder down so be it.
BTW--a good coach will teach his runners hook slides, go by slides and other methods designed to avoid a tag/fielder.

From the 40 myths of baseball:

20. There is no "must slide" rule. When the fielder has the ball in possession, the runner has two choices; slide OR attempt to get around the fielder. He may NOT deliberately or maliciously contact the fielder, but he is NOT required to slide.
Rule: 7.08(a, 3) this rule does not apply to professionals.
See Sliding and Collisions

Until this year professional baseball allowed the runner to plow into the catcher who had the ball and was waiting to make a tag.
That is no longer the case, although it is listed as an experimental rule for 2014

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
It is ASA 8-7-Q. When a defensive player has the ball and the runner remains upright and crashes into the defensive player.

The key wording in the rule, the fielder must have the ball.

Mar 15, 2014
It is ASA 8-7-Q. When a defensive player has the ball and the runner remains upright and crashes into the defensive player.

The key wording in the rule, the fielder must have the ball.

True--in that case the proper call is obstruction.

Sometimes I am amazed as to how much knowledge is required by an umpire to earn anywhere from $40 to just over $100 (for High School softball.)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
Until this year professional baseball allowed the runner to plow into the catcher who had the ball and was waiting to make a tag.
That is no longer the case, although it is listed as an experimental rule for 2014
Actually, the new rule still allows the runner to plow into the catcher if they are blocking the plate. The runner can't go out of their way to initiate contact with the catcher.

Jul 24, 2013
I am getting frustrated by young rec coaches in my area teaching fielders poor/shady positioning BEFORE they have the ball. They are teaching them to take advantage of an 11 year old lady's natural avoidance of contact by blocking the plate or bag with their bodies/feet BEFORE the ball gets there, knowing the runner will slow/slide funny, and more likely get out. pisses me off no end.... And the friggin umpires here are oblivious that they are obstructing.... or just wont call it. I mention it to all umps at the plate meeting now. Would they tolerate a fielder blocking the runner off the base without the ball at 3rd...? Nope, but at home, the girls are blocking it, waiting for the ball.. and nothing. I want my kids to be safe, and have fun!

I appreciate the info... this clears things up a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs