Slapping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 17, 2009
I have seen this done so many different ways that I really want to know the correct rule on this.
My question is "Do your feet HAVE to be inside the batters box when you make contact with the ball"?
I have seen a lot of girls slap from the left side and I know they make contact with the ball out in front of the plate, but I am not sure of the feet. Can someone please explain the rule to me?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
At least part of the foot has to be inside the batter's box when you make contact. I don't have a rulebook handy so I can't quote it exactly, but I know part in and part out is considered in. And the foot has to be on the ground to count, so if for some reason a foot is fully over the line but not in contact with the ground it's not considered out of the box.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
From USSSA rules:

Sec. 7. A batter shall not hit the ball fair or foul while either foot is touching
the ground completely outside the lines of the batter’s box or while touching
the plate.
NOTE: A follow-through with the bat may carry one of the batter’s feet
entirely outside the box so it touches the ground as the ball is leaving the
bat. It is customary for the umpire to ignore this if both feet were in legal
position at the start of the swing and if it is not considered an attempt to
circumvent the spirit of the rule.
PENALTY: The ball becomes dead immediately. The batter is out.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
I have a question for all the experts. I can't figure this out, maybe someone can explain it to me.
We have been having open gym upnorth, here. We have 2 high schools that are connected, so both teams are together. The coaches cannot teach or instruct the girls, but they can be there to watch.
The school that my daughter doesn't go to, the coach has 3 of the girls slapping, from the right side. It's not a fake bunt, pulling back, then slapping. He has them slapping, as if they were from the left side. Moving up the 3rd base line.
The coach has said to me, they are going to be excellent slappers. I haven't asked him why he is doing this, because in my mind, I can't see any benefit, moving the opposite direction of 1st base.
Am I way off base here? Am I missing something, other then, I'm glad my daughter isn't being coached by him?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Eric, I've seen a lot of things but I have never seen someone slap from the right side as if they were on the left side. I'm interested to see if this is a common thing or something new or what.

Jun 1, 2009
I don't think it is, amanda. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, then having the coach come over and say, they are going to be excellent slappers. Blew me away. I would like to hear anyone, that has seen this before. If so, explain, the benefits

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Actually I have seen it. Bustos did it, but it is a power slap. Howard/hitter teaches it as a method to get on base, based on the defense that is being played against you. So yes Right handed batters can and do slap, but not as a lefty slapper does, based on speed..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06