Slap or hit away?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2015
I have a player with exceptional speed, and even though she had a GREAT year slapping at the varsity level as only an 8th grader, neither she nor her parents are sold on the idea of being a "steady" slapper throughout high school. They aren't convinced that this is her best ticket to play at the next level, and I, as her coach, disagree. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. Is slapping overrated? This girl is the perfect slapper...excellent speed...very thin and not very tall...excellent bunter.

What does everyone think of this situation?

Dec 20, 2012
In 5 years there is no telling what they will be looking for. It seems like power hitters are the big thing right now. But you can always bet that speed and a high on base percentage will be at the top of the list. There are some coaches that like power hitters but if she is effective as a slapper, and has good defensive skills, there will definitely be a spot for her on a team.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I might be missing something.
Can she power slap? hard slap? soft slap? slap bunt?
Has she been taught to HIT lefthanded?

The thing with true slappers, is there should be no limitations on their skills.

Jun 22, 2008
If all she can do from the left side is slap and drag bunt then as she gets into stiffer competition she will not have as much success. But, if she can or learns to also hit away from the left side it makes it much more difficult for the defense to figure out what the batter is doing. Slapping and drag bunting sets up the defense to hit away, and hitting away sets them up for the slap or drag bunt. If they cant figure out what the batter is doing, they cant put on the defensive shifts to counteract a particular batting style.

My daughter could both hit away and slap from the left side, was nationally ranked in the top 1% of D1 batting her senior year and when she saw her coach at the college world series this year he told her he sure wished he had her bat back.

Jul 2, 2015
Slapping is a great asset and if she is successful at it she should keep doing it. Every coach wants a slapper who can get on base in any situation so I understand!
Does she understand her job as a slapper? how beneficial it is to the team? maybe that's all she needs is some understanding.
She is very young mentally and that is most likely her issue(the ball doesn't go far, I want to hit a HR). It is hard to understand it is not all about her and what the team can produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Was she a natural lefty? or taught?

It would be helpful even if she can't hit HRs from the left side if she can hit line drives in the gap to the fence, to keep defenses honest

Jun 30, 2015
I have a player with exceptional speed, and even though she had a GREAT year slapping at the varsity level as only an 8th grader, neither she nor her parents are sold on the idea of being a "steady" slapper throughout high school. They aren't convinced that this is her best ticket to play at the next level, and I, as her coach, disagree. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. Is slapping overrated? This girl is the perfect slapper...excellent speed...very thin and not very tall...excellent bunter.

What does everyone think of this situation?
Every school is looking for a plate setter for their team! If she has a high OBP leave her alone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A slapper who can slap and bunt is a part-time player/pinch runner in college. A slapper who can slap, bunt, AND hit is a college star/ter.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Was she a natural lefty? or taught?

It would be helpful even if she can't hit HRs from the left side if she can hit line drives in the gap to the fence, to keep defenses honest
Not sure why it matters if they are natural your self taught.to be a lefty. My 9 yr old has been self taught and although she needs lots work to get better she has some power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00