Slap or hit away?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Colleges will always look for hitters who can get on base. You have to get on base in order to score runs.

Teach her to read the defense and set up for each pitch accordingly. There will always be a hole in the defensive scheme. She has to exploit that hole with what ever it takes (hit away, hard slap, soft slap, drag bunt).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If my DD was fast and could hit from the left side I would work to make her a "triple threat" - a player who can bunt, slap, or swing away. They are the toughest players to defend.

Jun 26, 2012
We are experiencing this now with my DD. The better teams we face see her and immediately choke her off, expecting a slap or bunt so we hit away. A sharp hit grounder will get through with the defense in so much. Lesser teams play her straight up and she gets on with the drag bunt. The important thing is she can hit. Now, she doesn't hit triples in the gaps much but she can hit.

She plays 14u, is a natural lefty, drag bunts, soft slaps and is ok with a hard slap. I didnt start her slapping until she was 12 almost 13. We focused on hitting. IMO, another critical part is she is in the same part of box no matter what she is doing. Slap, drag bunt, hit away, everything looks the same until the pitcher is through part of her motion. Drives the defense nuts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207