Slap - D

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Most slappers are FAST. Because of this their objective can be one of many things...
1) Get the ball to bounce super high and have the defense waiting on it to come down. (easier in college on well manicured field.. not so much of an option in TB as most fields are not as well kept)
2) Hit it up the 5/6 gap attempting to force 5 and/or 6 to make a lateral move thus slowing them down on the ability to field and get the ball to 1st before the slapper makes it safely.
3) If the defense gives you something odd or extremely unique (Example: SS and 3rd way up in their face and 2nd base staying back....) the they will try to punch it over a head or slow roll it to someone playing too deep.
A good slapper is hard to cover. I typically subscribe to the following in TB because of sandy fields with little hard bounce ability....
4 and 6 in because they are most used to unusual hops/rolls or plays on the move.
3 and 5 back as they are most used to covering the corners.
7,8 & 9 all in shortfield
I am looking to force them to beat us over our heads deep in the grass. It is playing the odds because I see this as less likely to happen in 14U and younger teams. The more Elite level of a Team you have in older ages this strategy could burn you.

Last edited:

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Does anyone notice D-1 colleges changing up much for slappers? I've seen third pulled in more. In the NPF, way in.

MU brings the RF in and plays them just on the SS side of the second base bag.

Jun 12, 2015
We've been moving 1st and 3rd in, leaving 2nd and short even with the baseline. We didn't have much success with it as our 3rd base player is a little on the heavy side. I've been trying to find ways to move players around, by moving SS and 2nd in sounds like it may fix our situation. We'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Most slappers are FAST. Because of this their objective can be one of many things...
1) Get the ball to bounce super high and have the defense waiting on it to come down. (easier in college on well manicured field.. not so much of an option in TB as most fields are not as well kept)
2) Hit it up the 5/6 gap attempting to force 5 and/or 6 to make a lateral move thus slowing them down on the ability to field and get the ball to 1st before the slapper makes it safely.
3) If the defense gives you something odd or extremely unique (Example: SS and 3rd way up in their face and 2nd base staying back....) the they will try to punch it over a head or slow roll it to someone playing too deep.
A good slapper is hard to cover. I typically subscribe to the following in TB because of sandy fields with little hard bounce ability....
4 and 6 in because they are most used to unusual hops/rolls or plays on the move.
3 and 5 back as they are most used to covering the corners.
7,8 & 9 all in shortfield
I am looking to force them to beat us over our heads deep in the grass. It is playing the odds because I see this as less likely to happen in 14U and younger teams. The more Elite level of a Team you have in older ages this strategy could burn you.

Well put. This is exactly what I teach DD to do. Read what the defense is giving her.

There is no way to protect against a GOOD slapper b/c you will always leave a hole. It's up to the slapper to execute and exploit what the defense is giving up. IMO, a good slapper can drop a drag bunt, bounce one over your head, hit a hard grounder, punch a line drive, punch a gapper, or simply swing away. Their choice is based on how the D plays them each pitch. Put the ball in play and force the D to get you out likely making an error rushing the play.

Jul 6, 2013
I think that's one of the most important aspects of a slapper that rarely gets worked on by some. The ability to actually stand in there and swing from the left side normally. It is invaluable to have a girl who, when the defense comes in to take away the infield slap or the drag, that can stand in and swing and drive the ball to the outfield.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00