Skipping Tryouts This Year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So honest question here RAD - assuming she does want to play in college and continues to play on a ”B” level team, you don’t agree that taking the season off and going to college camps during that time would be the better move? She’s not on a National level team playing on the good fields at a high level showcase basing it on what the OP posted.
Showcasing should be as important as academics.

Just like wanting to apply time to academics she has to apply quality time to showcasing. In my opinion that would include being on a team and playing in a couple of venues at least. Have to stay sharp while showcasing. If she had a schedule that included Camp showcasing and some team showcases that would still be an active softball schedule and not taking the break away from softball and only training by herself.

There is the point think is important and that is that there are other players putting in a hundred percent effort into their academic and athletic goals.
TIME COMMITMENTS
anybody who puts in less than what other people are prepared to do are short sheeting themselves.
It does not mean there won't be opportunities for her because High academic can open doors. But there are many many other players that are competing for the same limited spots.
Who have great grades and already got themselves exposure in their sophomore year.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Showcasing should be as important as academics.

Just like wanting to apply time to academics she has to apply quality time to showcasing. In my opinion that would include being on a team and playing in a couple of venues at least. Have to stay sharp while showcasing. If she had a schedule that included Camp showcasing and some team showcases that would still be an active softball schedule and not taking the break away from softball and only training by herself.

There is the point that I think is important and that is that there are other players are putting in a hundred percent effort into their academic and athletic goals. Anybody who puts in less than what other people are prepared to do our short sheeting themselves.
It does not mean there won't be opportunities for her because academic High academic can open doors. But there are many many other players that are competing for the same limited spots.
No one can serve two masters. One thing has to be a higher priority than another.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
No one can serve two masters. One thing has to be a higher priority than another.
Find balance and prioritize as each individual should for their goals.
Yet remember an abundance of other academic athletes apply themselves to both.

imo Both need application.
💥Showcasing is only limited months out of the year.💥

If her academics are already high enough she should be taking SAT scores applying them to her resume that she's sending out to colleges because if her academics are really that good that will put her on their radar, and that can start happening in sophomore year. Actually suggest to make sure players who want to go to college and play softball make sure they're showcasing by the summer before their sophomore high school year starts. But certainly by the summer After High School year. That plus those test score numbers should be on your softball resume. If your Not extra high academic you're in a very LARGE group with a lot of other really great student athletes.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
There are a number of things in play. First, her academics are by far the priority. At times she's had to miss fall practices because of school work and coaches have said to be ok with it, but I could tell they weren't happy.
Also, the instruction and training given in many cases has been unimpressive, even from paid coaching. My thought is to take the money I'd spend on a full travel program and use it on personal coaching then negotiate something in the spring.
I'd never let her size get in the way of softball. She's quite talented, but introverted and doesn't leave a great impression on coaches.
I believe that from a Dollar "Value" point of view, you can get better progress in softball and academics by using your money and time on private lessons instead of fall travel ball.

Apr 27, 2020
So honest question here RAD - assuming she does want to play in college and continues to play on a ”B” level team, you don’t agree that taking the season off and going to college camps during that time would be the better move? She’s not on a National level team playing on the good fields at high level showcases basing it on what the OP posted.
The average College coach moves around about every 3 to 5 years (like a HS coach and travel ball coach in most areas).
As a decent A or B level player she could not play any travel ball and just go to camps / clinics and find a college that fits her abilities and educational needs.
Heck I know of ladies that were very good ball players that decided to just go to a bigger / cheaper college and play on a club team.
They got to play ball, enjoy college and not break the bank leading up to college... https://clubsoftball.org/

There are lots of JC, NAIA, DII/DIII and small DI programs that are looking for talent in all regions of the U.S.
Since most ladies get very little athletic scholarship money to play focusing on academics will pay off more in the end.

Jun 8, 2016
As I alluded to, if she wants to play on a team I would see if you can make that happen. All of the stuff mentioned already in this thread aside, and this may sound sexist, but I think many young ladies thrive off of the social aspect of being on a team. Personally my teammates were just that, teammates. With my DD, and many other of the young ladies I see on a weekly basis, it seems to be a little more than that and I know she would miss it were she not to be on a team and didn’t have any other outlets which would provide similar opportunities.

Your DD may be different but I would probably find out before making any decisions.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Do believe everybody has their own path on this sb to college sb journey. What everybody does not always recognize is how many people are on the path ahead of them.

May 27, 2013
The other thing to consider is that say in a year or two she decides softball isn’t her thing. That higher GPA will still be the thing that will help her more when applying to college at every college.

ETA: I’m not trying to argue with you RAD - I agree showcasing is important. However, parents also need to understand the academic side to getting into colleges. With many being test-optional now the GPA matters more than ever.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
So much pressure nowadays on these young kids, whether they are going to play ball in college or not. Kind of feel bad for them..😕

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The other thing to consider is that say in a year or two she decides softball isn’t her thing. That higher GPA will still be the thing that will help her more when applying to college at every college.
And... if she uses softball to get the attention of the college/coaches... and it's only academic money, she can still choose to not play softball but use softball to get into the college.

Sports get people to the front of the line.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad