Skip practice for private pitching lesson.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
You should take the opposite approach and publicly praise the pitcher for putting in the time/effort of getting a private lesson for her chosen position.

Or you could just be like everyone else and schedule your private lessons when your team doesn't have practice. If there is a conflict just skip your private lesson for a week. It will be OK.

If you are a big fish in a small pond you can make your own rules. If you live in a big pond I can assure you that your daughter isn't unique.

The entitlement of pitchers parents is one aspect of fastpitch that still amazes me. If you can get 21 outs by yourself let me know.

Feb 7, 2013
Also, at 10U, pitching lessons are tons more important than the team practice. Echoing a previous post, pitchers need to be handled with care, they aren't the same as your other players. They are already putting in more practice on their own time than any other player (except maybe the catcher) on the team.

If you come down too hard on the pitcher, or piss off the parent, your #1 will be some other team's #1. And, believe me, that other team will thank you for it!! You should take the opposite approach and publicly praise the pitcher for putting in the time/effort of getting a private lesson for her chosen position.

I have never treated my pitching DD as someone who should be put on a pedestal and above team rules. If all of the players are required to attend team practice, then she will attend too. I don't know about you, but I have actually coached 10U teams and I can tell you there is A LOT to learn about the game, especially at this age. Our playing rules allowed dropped third strikes, infield fly rules, circle violations, steals, etc. and the defense needed to learn how to defend against small ball, steals, DTS, passed balls w/ runner on 3rd, hitting cutoffs, back-up assignments, pitching and hitting signs, I could go on and on. Team practice is very important and ALL players should attend if at all possible. No free passes just because you play pitcher, catcher, or are the lead-off batter.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Interesting debate on both sides, and I can fully understand why both sides have their beliefs. Personally as a coach AND the father of a pitcher, I try to be respectful to everyone. All players should do what they can to make team practice. If they are unable to make practice, they should communicate this with the coach including a reason. As long as a player is honest with me and does what they can to make as many practices as possible, I am not going to make a big deal out of a single absence. But if this is a regular thing, I can understand the coach being a bit miffed about it. On the other side, I believe coaches should also be respectful of the players. If you set a schedule but then need to change it, have some leniency for those that made plans based on your original schedule. I am neither a fan of the entitlement theory nor the my way or the highway approach.

Jun 12, 2015
Yes, I've managed teams before, 10U and 12U. Luckily for me, I've never been in the position of having a team, but no pitcher. But, now that I'm the parent of a 14U pitcher, I can tell you of the many teams who email weekly asking to borrow my DD for the weekend due to they not having a strong bracket pitcher. We oblige them when we can. But, some, not all, are short pitchers due to self evident reasons. Such as not allowing the pitcher some latitude when it comes to fielding/batting practices.

(Proud Parent moment: as for 21 K's, those are called "Perfect games"...she's had three.)

Dec 6, 2016
I'm going to guess you live in an area where there are not many choices of teams to play on. I live in an area where there is a top team on every corner. When coaches have no wiggle room with pitchers and catchers, and there are so many other teams to choose from, you will not retain that top talent. Those parents will simply move to another team. We see it happen just about every weekend.

Also, I have to say this and I'm sure it will ruffle some coaches feathers...when you get to 14U, your daughter is now playing for the name on the back of their jersey and not the front. At the end of the day, they are out there to be recruited. That being said, of course they are playing on a team and they give it their all for the better of their team, but they are trying to get recruited...simple as that. And if a coach wants to have a hissy fit about skipping a team practice for a private lesson...I'll just take my daughter to another team where it's a better "fit." Too many teams out there to worry about a coach with an EGO!

Jun 12, 2015
I have never treated my pitching DD as someone who should be put on a pedestal and above team rules. If all of the players are required to attend team practice, then she will attend too. I don't know about you, but I have actually coached 10U teams and I can tell you there is A LOT to learn about the game, especially at this age. Our playing rules allowed dropped third strikes, infield fly rules, circle violations, steals, etc. and the defense needed to learn how to defend against small ball, steals, DTS, passed balls w/ runner on 3rd, hitting cutoffs, back-up assignments, pitching and hitting signs, I could go on and on. Team practice is very important and ALL players should attend if at all possible. No free passes just because you play pitcher, catcher, or are the lead-off batter.

ITA with this. My DD's the number one pitcher on our team & one of the best hitters & the starting short stop when not pitching. You could say she's important to the team. And the last thing I want her to learn is that she's above the rules, more important than her teammates, etc.

Feb 7, 2013
I'm going to guess you live in an area where there are not many choices of teams to play on. I live in an area where there is a top team on every corner. When coaches have no wiggle room with pitchers and catchers, and there are so many other teams to choose from, you will not retain that top talent. Those parents will simply move to another team. We see it happen just about every weekend.

I don't know if this is directed at me or not but my DD plays in SoCal and its about as travel ball dense as you will find in the nation. I have never considered moving DD off a team because a coach expected her to be at a team practice. With that said, occasionally a player is going to miss a practice due to unforeseen circumstances so a wise head coach should have some flexibility in missed practices. What I don't like is a player thinking they are above the team rules and can miss team practices whenever they feel like it. An example is on DDs HS team, the other pitcher misses every Wed team practice to see a pitching coach, but guess who the coaches give the benefit of the doubt to during league play, my DD, because she has shown the commitment to the team, etc. I think these little things, like making a commitment to the team, makes a difference in the eyes of the coaches and teammates and its important to the development of the player to be a well-rounded player and athlete.

Mar 9, 2015
First I don't like to label kids as #1, #2 etc pitcher, especially at younger ages. I think teams should have 2-3 main pitchers that compliment each other's strengths to make the team better. As a parent of a pitcher, we always try to work lessons around practice, because it is a team sport and they need to know how to play the position and other positions when they are not pitching. There have been a few times when practice date/time was chanted and coach said it was ok for DD to miss. I don't like putting coach in a position where they excuse my DD and then other kids try to find ways to miss practice. Team practice is crucial and so is players working on their own.

Jun 12, 2015
First I don't like to label kids as #1, #2 etc pitcher, especially at younger ages. I think teams should have 2-3 main pitchers that compliment each other's strengths to make the team better.

That would be ideal but isn't always possible. Some teams are lucky to have one pitcher that can throw strikes in 10U.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Good pitching coaches are hard to find and if you have spot with one you don't want to lose it.

Ideally she'd schedule pitching lessons around practice but sometimes that's not possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad