Skills/traits that can't be improved on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Just a general discussion. It could be any softball skill that you think can't be improved on, or people can't improve very much on regardless of effort. Does not have to be one of these skills just some examples for discussion sake.

Exit Velo/ Hitting bombs
Overhand arm strength
Footwork
Running speed
Knowledge of the game/ instinct
Tracking fly balls
Etc.

Just my opinion, of the all the skills a baseball or softball player can have. Running fast is the skill that you either have or you don't. You can work your butt off but that person will never be fast. Can they Improve their foot speed? Sure, but only to a small degree.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Read? I could be convinced that if you see enough pitches and swings that you get better at both anticipating where the ball will go and the read once it’s airborne (or ground borne?), but some players just have better read instincts.

Mar 28, 2020
Coachability? Genetics?

I think most of the things on the OP list are skills that can be improved. Foot skills and speed are things that my DD is currently working on through speed and strength training classes at a local gym. Is she as fast as the genetically gifted girls on her team? No, but she's gaining on them. And she's a lot faster than she was. If she weren't so gd coachable, none of this would have been possible.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
All "skills" can be improved upon, but that doesn't guarantee that anything will become a strength. A smaller kid can learn to hit the ball harder and deeper, but that doesn't mean she's going to regularly hit bombs. Footwork and speed can be improved upon, sometimes by quite a bit, but that doesn't mean you're going to be a track star.

Knowledge of the game is one thing that can become a strength for just about anyone with the motivation.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You can compensate for foot speed with quick decision making. I always told my players if they aren't running before I yell go that they are late already.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA