side arm?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
I coach DDs 12u rec team and we played one of the better teams in our league last night in our last regular season game. My dad who is a HS umpire came to watch about halfway through the game.

After the inning was over, my dad came over to me and said you know, that pitcher is throwing illegal. I said why, I didn't notice anything wrong. He was watching from behind the backstop and said she is throwing side arm, her elbow is away from her body and her lower arm/wrist is extended out beyond that. I was on the 3rd base side and couldn't see it from my angle and she didn't pitch another inning so I didn't question it.

Now my question is, this was the last game of the regular season but we have an end of the season tournament coming up this weekend. We could potentially play them again in the tournament. If she pitches again should I mention it to the umpire during her warmups? She was a reasonably good pitcher as far as getting the ball over the plate, but my girls hit her much harder than that team's other pitcher.

Dec 7, 2011
If you hit her harder you might want to let it go.

To me there is "grey area" here.

My thoughts:

There was a very good pitcher at LSU (Mack) that threw an amazing off-speed curve. I feel this pitch could have been called for IP based on the wrist/hand slicing under the ball from the outside. But I think this needs NOT to be included in any IP consideration.

Now up here in WI there was a pitcher in hs state that threw true side-arm where the whole forearm and I believe even the upper arm was outside to the point the release was above the belt-line. She got called for many many IP's, and should have, BUT NOT just at hs state!!! (apparently nobody IP'd her until state.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr