Should we consider Gold teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Hi everyone. Been a while since I posted.

I wanted to run something by everyone in hopes that those who have been down this path can help us out.

My daughter just finished her freshman HS year. She did well against a pitcher in District playoffs whos father is a coach for a Gold team in our area.

I have since been getting emails from the Head Coach about my daughter guesting for this Gold team this summer and how it is a chance for both sides to see if it’s a good fit for next year. My daughter was invited to tryout for this Gold team last fall, but wasn't seriously looked at I believe because she was really too young at the time.

As my daughter continues to improve in her softball abilities and is entering her Sophmore year I have started conversations with her in regards to her softball future.

Through these discussions and knowing my daughter better than anyone, I am getting a good idea of her personal goals for softball.

1) She wants to play softball in College.

2) She doesn't care about the school being Div 1, 2, 3, NAIA, NJCAA or any of that.

3) She has no aspirations of ever being on TV or anything like that. Nor does she really care about national rankings. Its not important to her.

4) She doesn't want to go too far from home to go to school. What "too far" means, is yet to be determined. But lets just say there aren't any power house schools that I know of no matter the division within the range limits from home she is willing to consider.

5) She wants to be an impact player right away. She doesn't want to go to a school where she will be on the roster, but might not play until her Junior or Senior year.

6) As with any 15 year old girl any of the above is subject to change, frequently.

She plays on a very good Class A team that always plays the best competition they can find and frequently plays up from 16U to 18U. They will move up to 18U next season and they do plan to and have already played in a few localized showcases. However, due to having a Gold team within the same organization her team will probably never see the best showcases in the area especially the Gold team is in them. The organization I think has a rule that any show case the Gold team is in, none of the others can be present.

With all that said, does she really need to be on a Gold level softball to get where she wants to be?

This is our first athlete in the family and we're really in the dark here.

Thanks for any help.

I think the first obvious question would be why is she not being invited to play Gold for the organization she is in, the answer might be politics or just a glut of good players but it might be worth it to ask the coaches for an honest assessment (might not get it but it is worth a shot).

As long as there are no conflicts with current teams schedule I don't see why you could not guest for a few tournaments and see how it works out. I would think if she has the talent you would want her playing with the best competition out there getting the most exposure possible and that is never going to happen if she can't play in those tournaments because your club "Gold" team takes all those opportunities.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not an expert since my DD has not reached that age group yet, but it is my understanding that the difference between and high level A team and a Gold team is the distance they are willing to travel to get recognized. Most A teams play in a limited geographical area (the exceptions being ASA Nationals, which are always in BFE). Gold teams travel all over the country playing in showcases and exposure tournaments where getting girls in front of college coaches is more important than winning.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Though I'm not a Gold expert either, JAD is correct along with my experience and understanding. "True" Gold teams do travel far and wide and can become quite expensive.

I too am "learning" this college exposure deal. My DD has no interest in going far for college, so we are hitting more "state" type exposure tourneys. You have to really look at the options of tourneys, there are some great ones out there that really work for players choosing to stay close to home for college. Almost every state in the south has these types, so I'm sure yours does too.

TN EXPOSURE COLLEGES ATTENDING

Only 6 Gold teams entered this year, and last year had over 75 colleges attending. ( these tourneys really help those who don't run the Gold circuit and still wish to be seen )

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
In the OP's case and perceived priorities, it makes little sense to play for a travel team that routinely travels beyond the area where your DD wants to go to college. I'd recommend finding the best team that plays in your geographic target area and contacting the coaches so that they can have the opportunity to see her play. Yes it's nice to be recruited by schools in say California and Texas but unproductive if DD wants to stay within 100 miles of say Atlanta or Chicago.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
JAD - I'll throw in my 2 cents. For perspective, I coach a Gold team in the Southeast. My DD played 18A for one year and will play 2 years at Gold.
I think there are a few factors to consider:

1) Gold teams definitely get more exposure than 18A teams. College coaches are much more likely to watch Gold teams at showcases and watch a Gold qualifier than 18A. This doesn't mean there aren't coaches at 18A, but not as many. It is true Gold teams tend to travel more, but your DD's feelings about distance may change, so that might not be a negative. Most high schoolers have no idea of the options available to them.

2) The organization matters. How much can vary, but there is no doubt that certain teams will draw coaches. Ultimately, it is up to the player to generate interest though emails, videos, etc., but top organizations have coaches who have been through the process and have contacts at various schools. That can only help.

3) Know the quality of the exposure tournaments that are being attended. The TD should be able to provide a list of confirmed coaches who are attending when you are there, as compared to a general list of every coach they've had in the past 5 years.

4) Playing time. Each coach is different. In my case, qualifiers are strictly to win and that's how I play. Exposures are for getting girls signed and I give preference in playing time to unsigned players. Know the coach's philosophy.

I don't think there is one right answer. It's been noted that every girl's situation is different and each player needs to find the best fit for her. Discuss priorities with your daughter and then try your best to find the team that will make her happy.

Good luck.

Dec 9, 2011
If I'm not mistaken I believe if your a college freshman and played college ball you can not play Gold level you have to play 18A. That's why you see not many at 18A compared to Gold. That's ASA. But now I haven't checked lately they could have changed it.

Jul 9, 2010
College Players can not play Gold. That has little to do with attendance, though, because most 18u teams don't have college players anyways.

Coaches like Gold teams because signing Gold players is like collecting trophies. I have seen great Gold teams, and ugly ones.

I know plenty of girls playing D1 who did not play Gold. But, coaches tend to congregate around the Gold teams.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Daddylawman - thank you for the insight! One quick question -I understand the logic behind giving preferential playing time to girls who have not signed with a college, but I was wondering if you ever have kids leave the team or cut down on the amount of traveling they do after they have signed with a college. Gold ball can be expensive and once a player signs with a college I wonder if any of them 'drop back' and play A-ball to finish out the season to save some money?

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Daddylawman - thank you for the insight! One quick question -I understand the logic behind giving preferential playing time to girls who have not signed with a college, but I was wondering if you ever have kids leave the team or cut down on the amount of traveling they do after they have signed with a college. Gold ball can be expensive and once a player signs with a college I wonder if any of them 'drop back' and play A-ball to finish out the season to save some money?

Yes, that does happen. I had 2 D1 recruits the year I coached 18A. Both were signed and the families wanted to save on travel. It's harder to "drop-back" mid-season if your team is ASA. Once a girl plays in a Gold qualifier she can not play 18A ASA. I do however talk to some players about not having to travel to all showcases. As long as it's all discussed up front it can work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06