Should I say anything?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
i have complained about 1 catcher in my pitching DDs life. I have never complained about a pitcher in my catching DDs life...so in my experience pitcher's parents are more apt to blame a catcher than vice versa :)

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
My daughter has had more not so good catchers than actual good catchers…I remember one girl never caught in her life, knew nothing about blocking nor framing…she didn't even own a catchers glove…what she was athletic and had heart. If the ball got behind her, she would jump up and move…and she was quick. She had run down many girls…My daughter actually liked her because she had heart…skills was something she could work on if she was interested in continuing being a catcher.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
If your daughter takes pitching lessons, can you invite the catcher to come along? The pitching coach might be willing to coach up the catcher a little. :)

Jun 22, 2015
Not really the pitchers place to call out her catcher to the coach.

Lol- my daughter definitely didn't get that memo-one of her catchers is her best friend and I distinctly heard her ask the girl one time if she fell asleep or someone had glued her a$$ to her knee savers. The girls should expect the best out of each other and if they are a good teammate should be able to say something when they are slacking. That scenario is very different then a parent complaining to a coach imo

Sep 29, 2014
My DD certainly missed that memo! :)
and [MENTION=13096]csuttonthompson[/MENTION]

I am 100% OK with pitcher calling out their catcher, I am not OK with whining to the COACH.

Do you want the catcher going to the coach and telling them that your DD, the pitcher, is missing all her spots or not throwing what's called or whatever. Players should police themselves amongst each other to hustle more or get their head in the game don't go tattle to the coach.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
As a coach, I would have no problem with a pitcher expressing to me her discomfort with a particular catcher, as long as the purpose of her doing this was to help the team. That is information that a coach needs to know to make the team better. There's a difference between, ''The catcher sucks, she's lazy, it's her fault,'' and, ''I don't have faith in my catcher (which is not a criticism, but a fact), and what can I or we do to address this and make our team better?''

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Unless the coaching staff is pulling a "Buttermaker" in the dugout, they are keenly aware of the issue. I would not bring it up directly, but if you have "coaches meetings" (adult beverages and cigars at the hotel after dinner) it is a great time to casually discuss things the team can do to improve.
Buttermaker3.jpg

Sep 29, 2014
Agreed as long as it is 100% constructive. I think getting that pitcher catcher rhythm going is a good thing but no whining.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi