Should I let my 10U daughter pitch for a 12U team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2010
Central Illinois
My daughter (just turned 10) is currently pitching for a 10U travel team, but it's been suggested that she might be asked to pitch for our organization's 12U travel team that is thin on pitching. She throws about 45mph from 35ft and has very good control. As an experiment, we did back her up to 40ft with a 12in ball - and she was able to throw strikes at around 41mph. My fear is that she would get knocked around pretty badly by average 12U teams, and I also am concerned about the possibility of the 40ft distance and different ball - that it could mess up her pitching at 35ft with an 11in ball. How easily can pitchers transition between the different distances and ball sizes? Should I just say no or would the experience help her?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
After reading your other post, about her size and experience, I would say let her stay where she is at. I would want her to have some fun and success before moving her up.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
41 mph isn't good enough against good 12U teams. She'll get smacked around quite a bit at 12U. I don't see the point.

She is a little girl. I say let her have some fun at 10U.

Jan 27, 2010
Keep her at 10U and build some confidence and have some fun. The only reason to pull her up would be if she is not being challenged at 10U.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Keep her down, get the experience, then move up accordingly. I'm not being mean, but like Sluggers said 41 is a little below the norm. Around here 12U average in the low 50's, plus a few are starting to move the ball well. ( breaking )

Feb 5, 2010
Going through this very thing right now. I chose to keep her down. She is very dominate where she is and is having fun. Her confidence is going up as well as the K count. Right now she only plays 3 innings at a time because of the inning count and THE OTHER GIRLS NEED TO PLAY AS WELL. My DD has been throwing a 12" at 40' for about 8 months ( very big hands for her age) and that has only helped her. Going back to 11" at 35' is like heaven for her. She is flirting with 50 at 35'. I alway make sure that the day of a game, she never touches a 12". Strictly 11" and never more then 35' and there is no problem.
I had no desire to see her get shelled at 40'. She will have been pitching for 1 year at the end of this month and worked hard in the off season. My hope is that she will get the speed up over the winter to be just dominating next year. My thought would be keep her down, let her start learning how to work the hitters. Move the ball around because when they go up, they are going to need it. Work on owning her C/U. Let her have fun, its not her fault that pitching is thin somewhere else.

May 15, 2010
Central Illinois
All, Thanks for the advice. I am planning to only let her pitch 10U for the remainder of this year. Next year, I also plan to keep her primarily at 10U, but will let her occasionally sub for the 12U team - if for nothing else to get some experience at 40ft prior to trying out for grade school ball. I agree that 41mph at 40feet is below average for 12U, but I've seen a lot of below average pitchers out there once I started looking... Again, thanks.

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
I really don't see any harm from moving up, using a 12 inch ball wasn't a difference to me at all and when she goes back to 10U she will think the 11 inch is really easy to throw. The distance also isn't a big deal, she is throwing strikes you said. When I practice I throw 3-5 ft longer then what I normally throw because when your in a game at your right distance your control is a lot better and you feel so much more confident because it is WAY easier to pitch. She would probable get hit but that's gonna happen, I have played in a men's fastball league and I am only 16 and I got knocked around but the more I pitched to them the more I got use to it and I do a lot better now.
I know you already have made your decision, Just thought I'd say this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00