Should HS seniors EVER play JV?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Since when has Junior Varsity been for ANYONE other than 9th and 10th graders. Juniors and Seniors should not be playing JV. JV is about grade level not skill level.

Respectfully disagree. While it is ideal for upperclassmen to be on varsity, sometimes they don't have the skill level, sometimes they need major attitude adjustments, and sometimes you just have a really GOOD class of Soph and Fresh and they deserve to be on varsity. In our school's case this year, our underclassmen are MUCH more skilled than our upperclassmen...that is just the way that it has worked out for some reason. We'll likely have zero starting seniors, MAYBE four starting juniors, and the rest will be underclassmen. It is just the way that the talent pool has developed.

May 13, 2012
Our school doesn't allow seniors on jv. We have 13 " players " and roster of 18 total jv/varsity. The remaining 5 are very weak at best. Like other small programs already mentioned it take everyone to field both teams fresh through junior. My question is why do schools field non competitive jv teams?

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Our school doesn't allow seniors on jv. We have 13 " players " and roster of 18 total jv/varsity. The remaining 5 are very weak at best. Like other small programs already mentioned it take everyone to field both teams fresh through junior. My question is why do schools field non competitive jv teams?

Because experience on the field is much better than time at practice; even if it means going 0-for the season. Carrying 18 girls on varsity means either half the team is sitting doing nothing in games, or you weaken the varsity team by allowing sub-par players on the field. Varsity is about trying to win every game. JV is about building the program so that the underclassmen are ready to play varsity in the future.

Jan 20, 2010
This topic comes up several times around this time of year. I think the far more important question to ask other than is it ever appropriate for a Senior to play on JV (which my answer is no she should not) is DOES YOUR DAUGHTER WANT TO PLAY HS BALL!!!! So many families take HS ball as a make it or break it for a daughter softball playing days. Sometimes the parents want it more....Some times the parents cause the drama.....It's hard on these girls. In my area, they form a HS team of mostly all travel players from different teams and they are asked to be one team. These girls play against these girls all summer long. HS ball can be very drama filled time for girls. It can get very ugly at times. HS ball is not for everyone. I think it is great to play and represent your school, be proud. But if that comes at the price of emotional drama it may not be worth it for the girls. Believe me the list is getting longer and longer every year with girls that say HS ball is not for me. Guess what they still go on to play in college. High School is hard enough and with drama being thrown into the mix in the hallways and then softball field it can be down right cruel at times. If you got the type of HS program that is well coached, has strong tradition, well respected it can be the best experience for a player. If you got a bunch of drama hungry parents and that spills over to the players it can be one bad experience. Represent if you want, but don't let HS ball kill a girls love for the game because of politics.

Mar 13, 2015
Seems pretty obvious from here, where not too close and muddled in all the emotions and tradition. You have a varsity roster size and you put the players that best fit the team. All the rest get cut, or sent to the jv squad which should be grooming players incase needed up on varsity. That's how it is done in other sports. That said, some culpability must be taken by coaches as those girls clearly needed help and thus should have received it as well as clear communication as to what they needed to accomplish to make the next level...if that had been done, they might be good enough or at least would well know their chances were slim and there would be no controversy or drama

Jan 3, 2015
Thank you all for the input. It is no wonder that the subject is a bit controversial. Just look at how many and varied the opinions are in this thread.

Osric, I would have pegged you as HS coaching staff even if you hadn't said so up front. Your responses and perspective are particularly helpful, and everyone's insight has been valuable.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
For the 1st time in my career, I'm going to be a JV Coach in Softball. (Was never JV in Baseball) I don't intend to have anything other than 9th and 10th graders on my team. Our whole purpose will be to develop talent and work on fundamentals. I could care less about winning. I've done that at the Varsity level and so will now take on the role of what I asked my JV Coaches to do.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Respectfully disagree. While it is ideal for upperclassmen to be on varsity, sometimes they don't have the skill level, sometimes they need major attitude adjustments, and sometimes you just have a really GOOD class of Soph and Fresh and they deserve to be on varsity. In our school's case this year, our underclassmen are MUCH more skilled than our upperclassmen...that is just the way that it has worked out for some reason. We'll likely have zero starting seniors, MAYBE four starting juniors, and the rest will be underclassmen. It is just the way that the talent pool has developed.

My point is this..... You can always play up. You cannot play down. When I grew up JV was for underclassmen. If you were a stellar underclassman you could dress for varsity however IF you played even one pitch you could not dress and or play in that week's JV games. An upperclassman player could never play JV. So have the rules changed? My expression was not a theoretical one but rather a rules related one.

Nov 18, 2013
My point is this..... You can always play up. You cannot play down. When I grew up JV was for underclassmen. If you were a stellar underclassman you could dress for varsity however IF you played even one pitch you could not dress and or play in that week's JV games. An upperclassman player could never play JV. So have the rules changed? My expression was not a theoretical one but rather a rules related one.

Any rules would be by individual schools or athletic conferences. Here it's common for players on JV to play in both JV and varsity games. Most are underclassman or juniors. Occasionally seniors will play JV.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g