Should fielders know the pitch call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If batters see a defensive shift.
Some make an offensive shift in the box.

Jun 8, 2016
Are fielders in high level college programs taught to use pitch and location to prepare to field ball or shift at all?
The MI on my college team would relay the signs to the OF..I cannot remember ever shifting myself but I do remember being able to read how the batter swung at a ball in order to get a jump in a certain direction..that wasn't ever taught just something you develop after playing enough.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
The MI on my college team would relay the signs to the OF..I cannot remember ever shifting myself but I do remember being able to read how the batter swung at a ball in order to get a jump in a certain direction..that wasn't ever taught just something you develop after playing enough.

Agreed. Jumps are learned through thousands of reps, shagging thousands of balls in BP, playing hundreds of games, learning to read the pitch location, swing, angle, sound. Knowing the pitch could be helpful (in context of knowing the batter tendencies, game situation, pitcher capabilities, etc.), but diminishing returns really - it's 99% instinct / reaction built on experience, and reading the pitch/swing.

Oct 4, 2018
If batters see a defensive shift.
Some make an offensive shift in the box.

... and that might get in their head and wreck them. I'm not sure what can be done successfully to hit a slow, inside pitch the opposite way.

MLB uses the shift, and I think it's proven to be effective.

Jul 2, 2013
I like my defense to be ready for anything on every play. I don't like the idea of them assuming something based on the pitch call. If there is a reason for the defensive players to move, then the coach can adjust prior to the pitch.

May 23, 2015
I like my defense to be ready for anything on every play. I don't like the idea of them assuming something based on the pitch call.
Very good philosophy if you don't have a lot of data to back that decision up. To use pitch location defensively you better have a solid and reliable pitcher which is rare and a ream of data on the batter backing it up

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
... and that might get in their head and wreck them. I'm not sure what can be done successfully to hit a slow, inside pitch the opposite way.

MLB uses the shift, and I think it's proven to be effective.
Use what strategy works for you !

As for that change up...
If the batter starts off the inside box line that pitch is not inside.
Still reach outside of plate adjust stepping to it.

Some batters easily pull.
Some batters go opposite.
Good batters can do both.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd