Should DD play Travel & League?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
I was just wondering if anybody has had their daughter play league and travel ball at the same time. I know logistically it would be a busy schedule. My daughter would NOT miss travel ball practices or games, but she could play in league probably 2 nights a week. She is a 12U pitcher, so the extra pitching time against live batters would be a plus. But, we are talking a minimum of 10 to 15 mph difference in most other pitchers speed. How is this going to affect her batting? I thought about moving her up to 14U in league, but the point of playing league would be to play with her friends from her school. She is on a travel team made up of girls from 6 or 7 different schools.
Any input?

Jan 15, 2009
There are maturity issues with playing up at those ages that you may not want to deal with. Some 14U's are High School freshman, who are hanging around older High School kids.

The bigger issue might be conflicts with high school ball. In our area, 10U 12U travel games start May 1st and teams practice together in April. 14U,16U,18U start June 1st and don't practice much prior because of conflicts with High School ball.

I'd suggest getting your travel team to play a more aggressive schedule rather than playing in house and travel. Even if it's just weekday scrimmages find another travel team to play. Those are better innings for the pitcher than dominating an in house league.

Dec 19, 2008
There are maturity issues with playing up at those ages that you may not want to deal with. Some 14U's are High School freshman, who are hanging around older High School kids.

The bigger issue might be conflicts with high school ball. In our area, 10U 12U travel games start May 1st and teams practice together in April. 14U,16U,18U start June 1st and don't practice much prior because of conflicts with High School ball.

I'd suggest getting your travel team to play a more aggressive schedule rather than playing in house and travel. Even if it's just weekday scrimmages find another travel team to play. Those are better innings for the pitcher than dominating an in house league.

Travel team plans on 3 weekends a month starting in March until the U-Trip World Series.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
My DD plays both & I wouldnt have it any other way. There really isnt much conflict in schedule except Little league all stars can conflict pretty good with travel.My DDis a pitcher also, but not pitching well enough to be top dog on the travel team, so the extra innings on rec team are a blessing.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I was just wondering if anybody has had their daughter play league and travel ball at the same time. I know logistically it would be a busy schedule. My daughter would NOT miss travel ball practices or games, but she could play in league probably 2 nights a week. She is a 12U pitcher, so the extra pitching time against live batters would be a plus. But, we are talking a minimum of 10 to 15 mph difference in most other pitchers speed. How is this going to affect her batting? I thought about moving her up to 14U in league, but the point of playing league would be to play with her friends from her school. She is on a travel team made up of girls from 6 or 7 different schools.
Any input?

My daughter played both rec and travel last spring as a young 14U. She missed a couple of rec league games but they knew that travel was the priority when she signed up.
We just considered the games a pitching practice for her and she had some fun with a lot less pressure than the travel program.
If your schedule will allow it I don't see the harm in it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why does the movie "Ringer" come to mind?

Your time and her time would be better spent practicing on off-days than playing a bunch of kids that can barely hold a bat.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Travel & LL

My 12U DD will do both this year.
She likes to hang out see her friends from school. Extra infield will help.
Travel will come first.

Although extra practice might serve her better as a softball player ...she is going to be 13 and not having some fun with friends outside of Travel doesn't always result in improved skills.

She is still young enough to think of something other than her Travel Team.

Depends on what your goals are.
Our first goal isn't making her good enough for college ... the experience will be good for her no matter what path she chooses...softball included or not.

Just my opinion.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
My 12U DD will do both this year.
She likes to hang out see her friends from school. Extra infield will help.
Travel will come first.

Although extra practice might serve her better as a softball player ...she is going to be 13 and not having some fun with friends outside of Travel doesn't always result in improved skills.

She is still young enough to think of something other than her Travel Team.

Depends on what your goals are.
Our first goal isn't making her good enough for college ... the experience will be good for her no matter what path she chooses...softball included or not.

Just my opinion.

That's a great outlook..too many of us parents seem to forget that it's a game, they are kids and it's supposed to be fun.
Practicing is not always fun, ...playing and spending time with friends=fun!:)

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Travel and LL

Don't get me wrong....would love to see her make it to college level....
...but then I have to yank myself back and remember that it is her life!
AND...I wish I could be a kid again, so why rob her of the time she has as a kid.

Every kid is different ...there are some really motivated softball players at this age .... they seem to want nothing else .... they should reach for their dream.
My kid wants it...but also has a real want/need to just be a girl.....
trying to find a good balance for her.

Her Travel coach is very good .... we like him and I think he will really get the players on the team to grow. Not the "daddy ball" type at all and will yank his own kid as quickly as any other. We are lucky.
The rest is up to my DD about how much she wants this.

I just have to give her the tools and encouragement.

(I'm not perfect as I wish she would push harder some days!)(LOL)

Mom of five pretty good kids who all need an occasional boot!:D

That's a great outlook..too many of us parents seem to forget that it's a game, they are kids and it's supposed to be fun.
Practicing is not always fun, ...playing and spending time with friends=fun!:)

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Commitment?

My daughter is very young and just starting softball (2 seasons under her belt). She played rec. last year and is playing travel this year. I have spent a lot of time explaining to her the team concept ideals such as "It is all about the team, nothing else matters" I am not sure waht it says when the travel team would be "priority", it says that the rec. team is somehow inferior, although I am sure the level of play is. I feel that it is not possible and unfair to the rec. team to play both.