Should DD add another pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Maybe since the kid is motivated she should learn the new pitch and then from there decide which 3 she likes the best and master those?

I'm on the side that any time a kid is motivated by something don't shut the water off.

Feb 5, 2010
I'm glad some others chimed in on this. I've been thinking about responding but did not want to get beat up. I think it is great that your DD is motivated and wants to learn but with everything that we have heard about introducing pitches at an early age, is it worth the risk??? I'm not a PC but from what others have stated there are safe ways to get a ball to move. If she has a drop, it is my understanding that finger pressure will move it horizontally as well. Why not work on something like that. She is going to get a challenge and just as stoked when she gets the movement. As parents we should be doing our best to keep them healthy as long as possible. At 13 do they really know what is good for them, and should we thrust their judgment or do we guide them to make safe decisions. Slugger no disrespect intended, but how many girls at 13 know what is good for them in the long run. I think keeping them safe is different then trying to control them.

Dec 19, 2008
Well, DD and pitching instructor chose to start on the rise ball. Instuctor gave her a drill to work on (just using the hand) and flipping the ball. I can see this will take a very, very long time to get results. But, DD is happy, so I am happy.

Feb 19, 2009
don't be shocked if she picks it up sooner than you expect. My dd's PC started teaching her the riseball last year and when I emailed her travel coach to ask if she could work some of her riseball drills into the team's pitching practice we was very much against it (it wise kind of like that beer commercial with Jim Mora saying "Playoffs?!" but him saying "Riseball?!" instead). We decided to keep working on the pitch outside of team practices and games and she can throw it pretty well now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy