Should batter hit down on ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
With young girls, someone suggested to teach the batter to hit down on the ball especially when using the tee (i.e. put the tee all of the way up and and have girls hit down on the ball). Second part of question, its been suggested that when drafting players, rule of thumb is to pick good hitters first since you can teach throwing, catching, etc.

Oct 30, 2009
Dallas
With young girls, someone suggested to teach the batter to hit down on the ball especially when using the tee (i.e. put the tee all of the way up and and have girls hit down on the ball). Second part of question, its been suggested that when drafting players, rule of thumb is to pick good hitters first since you can teach throwing, catching, etc.

My opinion but...
I think you should teach girls the proper mechanics regardless of age.

When drafting a team at very young ages, probably the #1 & #2 on your draft board should be pitching and catching. It's true at very early ages you will need to teach throwing, catching, etc. to good hitters but guess what...you'll need to teach hitting too. Go for the most well rounded athletes and be prepared to teach all aspects of the game. Good luck!

May 12, 2008
With young girls, someone suggested to teach the batter to hit down on the ball especially when using the tee (i.e. put the tee all of the way up and and have girls hit down on the ball). .

This is a classic application of my rule. Always compare anything anyone tells you about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world. Here are some very good female hitters. I don't see any of these bat still moving down at contact.

Fastpitch

Texas A&M vs. UT

Northwestern @ 2006 WCWS

ULL vs. UNT

UCLA vs. Michigan

I see something more like the analysis on this page. Analysis

May 12, 2008
When drafting a team at very young ages, probably the #1 & #2 on your draft board should be pitching and catching. !

Yeah. It all starts with pitching. Best pitcher usually wins but no pitcher is any good if the catcher can't hold her.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I should have clarified, yes of course pitching is #1, but was curious what you would look for next in drafting players. A good catcher in my 8U is not that important since you can only steal 3B (and no advance on overthrow during steal or wild pitch, PB), have not seen an out at 3B in 8 games by any team. Good catcher might save some bruises on Blue though?

Mark H - I agree with you that you need to really analyze any advice given to you before implementing, checking video of good hitters is important.

Oct 30, 2009

Hit down if the result you want is all ground balls. To quote Sparky Parker "Remember, the swing goes up".

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
With young girls, someone suggested to teach the batter to hit down on the ball

I don't agree and do agree with what Mark said.

Swinging down on the ball is a problem I run across frequently. You don't have to teach them to swing down on it, most girls will do that if left to their own devices.

Oct 30, 2009
Dallas
I should have clarified, yes of course pitching is #1, but was curious what you would look for next in drafting players. A good catcher in my 8U is not that important since you can only steal 3B (and no advance on overthrow during steal or wild pitch, PB), have not seen an out at 3B in 8 games by any team. Good catcher might save some bruises on Blue though?

If life ends at 8U then I guess you don't need to worry about catching.

As for what to look for next...
IMO I say best athletes. It's 8U, there aren't going to be many seasoned softball players showing up to tryouts. Find athletic girls with great hand/eye coordination and make your own studs by teaching the fundamentals of the game. Me personally, I'd grab pitching, catching, and speed.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
According to Epstein, you want to "swing on the same plane as the pitch". Wouldn't the swing plane for softball be more level to the ground than say BB, in which the ball is released higher (head high vs hip high)? Does this "fact" make a difference in the hitting instruction for girls?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi