shortstop body type

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
So, even if you are one of those who ascribe body types to certain positions, I've never heard a profiler looking for a larger girl at SS. OP's coach is odd in several ways.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
MLB went through this. It went from small SS to big SS, I am not sure what it is now.

I do not know if the Coach is trying to help them or convince them to be in the position they want them to play for selfish reasons.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The coach on our club team is telling our shortstops parents because she is a small girl in stature she will not make a good ss in the future. Currently she is an absolute vacuum cleaner at ss with a cannon of an arm and is as quick as a cat. Virtually nothing gets by her and she loves the position. She is also a great leader on the filed. Does the coach have a valid point or is he talking out his a$$?
Perhaps what he looks for in his SS are his genes.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
12u?! Teach her to play outfield. While your at it teach her to play 2nd and 3rd too. Hell, if she wants to ssend her to a pitching coach.

Game day put the vaccum with a good arm and some leadership at ss. Or cf depending on what your team needs. No need to stress about where she'll play in college... Give her the tools and let the college coach sort all of that out.

Jun 18, 2013
If, and this is a giant IF, I was looking at two identically good middle infielders with one being taller than the other then I would put the shorter of the two at 2nd. But, that is only if they were both equal in all abilities and could both play either position. At 12U it is ridiculous to try to determine future positions based on body type.

On my DD's all star team we have a girl that is convinced that she should only be playing catcher. We had a local older TB player helping us at practice on afternoon and the C asked her what position she played. The TB player told her she played where the coach put her. It was the greatest response ever and allowed me to explain to the C that right now they are all utility players and should be developing all of their skills. My DD didn't speak to me last night after practice because I refuse to fight with the HC and the other AC to let her catch more instead of play 3rd. I asked her to tell me who on the team was better at 3rd and she couldn't. I told her that it was her responsibility to play where the team needs her and to do it to the best of her abilities. We can practice catching on our own but you develop all of your skills because you never know which ones are going to be your true talents.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
OMG-don't even start on coaches and 'body type'. When DD was 9yo she was on a team looking to
develop pitchers. Her coach at the time said 'sorry you don't have the right body type to pitch'.
As a result, I got sucked into the vortex of coaching and DD is a successful 18U pitcher committed
to college in the fall as a pitcher. Who in their right mind tells a child they have the wrong body type for
any position? I believe that character-heart-hardwork define a player more than physical stature in most cases.

Best part? She pitched against this coach's dd in HS and struck her out every time she faced her.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Here's a couple of examples from MLB:

David Eckstein, too small (5'6", 170 lbs)
10 year career in MLB
2006 World Series MVP

Jhonny Peralta, too big (6'2'', 215 lbs)
13 years in MLB (still active)
Two-time All Star (2011, 2013)

I'm guessing there might be some college girls playing short that are bigger than Eckstein.

david_eckstein_2006_06_28.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1