shortstop body type

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 6, 2013
The coach on our club team is telling our shortstops parents because she is a small girl in stature she will not make a good ss in the future. Currently she is an absolute vacuum cleaner at ss with a cannon of an arm and is as quick as a cat. Virtually nothing gets by her and she loves the position. She is also a great leader on the filed. Does the coach have a valid point or is he talking out his a$$?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I prefer to judge a player by what she can do on the field.

Important stuff...
...she is an absolute vacuum cleaner at ss with a cannon of an arm and is as quick as a cat. Virtually nothing gets by her and she loves the position. She is also a great leader on the filed.

Not important stuff...
...she is a small girl in stature she will not make a good ss in the future.

Also...Welcome to DFP! Enjoy the ride. :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You mean like Auburn's 5'-4" Emily Carosone? Tell the coach to blow it out his A$$. The position a kid plays in TB or HS has nothing to do with what they will play in college. I also had one of these geniuses tell me when my DD was 15 that she she should quit throwing a riseball and throw a drop because that is what college coaches wanted to see.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2013
Absolutely 100%. He's saying she'd make a great out fielder which is true she would. But his argument against ss is she will be too small in later years.I should note this is a 12U team and very good one.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Absolutely 100%. He's saying she'd make a great out fielder which is true she would. But his argument against ss is she will be too small in later years.I should note this is a 12U team and very good one.

For now, if she's the best SS on the team, that's where she should be playing. In the future, if she's the best SS on the team, that's where she should be playing. Moving/limiting her now based on an assumption about the future is a mistake. Her future coaches will deal with it as they see fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut