Shortage of Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
EVERYBODY going after nonprofit registration, watered down coaching and making 3000 club teams at varying levels. We can't find another pitcher for next season, in a city over 200,000 and a metro of 350,000 😑 Not to mention where we are, there's not really a universal way to get the info out on top of it.
🙂 care to explain watered down coaching?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
🙂 care to explain watered down coaching?
Main experienced coaching staff handles one team, plug and play college kids, or parents with no true coaching background coaching other teams. Most still paying the same, regardless. Watered down is the wrong word for coaches, less technical/detailed compared to main staff, is what I'm trying to say.

I have families/friends that paid said amount, and there was no development, just stations with varying input and correction here and there. Believe me, that's on the parents as well, but you see patterns everywhere.

PS.
You know that kind of shirt stuff, where you see mistakes and instead of helping kids fundamentally get better, they get to run foul poles...Cause that fixes fundamentals. Killed my oldests daughters love of the game.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I gotta say, with one DD a good catcher and one DD a good pitcher, we have a constant stream of offers.

I swear, my kids end up on third base during a game and they are inevitably asked "So, you happy being a [Enter Team Name Here]?"

During. A. Game. *sigh*

too many teams...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Main experienced coaching staff handles one team, plug and play college kids, or parents with no true coaching background coaching other teams. Still paying the same, regardless. Watered down is the wrong word for coaches, less technical/detailed compared to main staff, is what I'm trying to say.

I have families/friends that paid said amount, and there was no development, just stations with varying input and correction here and there. Believe me, that's on the parents as well, but you see patterns everywhere.
I do think it's interesting when the cost is the same but not the quality.

But unfortunately tournaments and paying for schedule and all that other stuff can cost the same. 🤷‍♀️

That said can understand why people will pay a little bit more for experienced coaching. When some coaches make a stipend off a team. It's just hard to discern what that is if unfamiliar with the coaching staff. Or how monies are being spent.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We have a shortage of players in NY because of declining enrollment and competition with soccer and lacrosse. We also have a shortage of quality coaches, which can definitely cause talented players to leave.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have a shortage of fields.

That is a little bit of cop out.

Really nice to have a fence but I bought a bunch of balls so could be Ok without fence.

Certainly not the same thing but there were BB fields hidden all around our area. All grass fields. Not perfect but OK.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I do think it's interesting when the cost is the same but not the quality.

But unfortunately tournaments and paying for schedule and all that other stuff can cost the same. 🤷‍♀️

That said can understand why people will pay a little bit more for experienced coaching. When some coaches make a stipend off a team. It's just hard to discern what that is if unfamiliar with the coaching staff. Or how monies are being spent.
Certainly a lot to unpack...Just seems as much as I love this sport, it's so much more damn complicated in how all is run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi