Short to - long through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Nope, not my DD. Long to - long through.

2 video (Gif's) - different outcomes - 2 days apart. How to get it "short to" ? I think fixing this will also help her get "tall" into her swing. Any help is appreciated.

clip1_zpstqh2ulcc.gif

clip2_zpskyrjxa4y.gif

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
First of all let me say that I am not considered a hitting " guru" on here. That said, I see a lot of good stuff going on in your DD's swing. The biggest thing that I picked up from the videos was the fact that your DD has a soft frontside. In other words, her knee is flexed thus reducing her frontside resistance and reducing her power. I honestly don't know how to produce gifs to show you what she should be doing, however, I know several DFPers that can. Can someone help me out please?

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
a soft frontside. In other words, her knee is flexed thus reducing her frontside resistance and reducing her power.

Good catch. She works hard in lessons trying to fix this. Does a nice job in the cage (see below) and on-deck, but can't get it in game situations. Her mental cues are to "get tall". Some cuts are better than others.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_zps98ounjsh.gif

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Seems to be a drop hands and swing level to the ball hitter. ]

You have absolutely picked up on a couple of things. She actually worked on swing plane in that same hitting lesson. And the outside pitch has been her nemesis this spring in HS ball. She played baseball through 12 and only picked up softball last year. Some of these are really old habits.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Work on getting rid of level shoulders, low inside tee, driving balls up the middle. get rid of the laying the barrel back, and work on a more of a ferris wheel bat path, (angled) using scrunch and tilt, with a tip towards pitcher, then tip of barrel towards catcher.

put balls on a gatorade bottles and hit line drives. Low outside tee, set deeper than normal(say at the back foot)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish