She is not getting better...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
Last year was my DD's 1st year playing travel ball. She played for a 10U "B" Team and played every game. When she tried out in the fall she could throw hard (accuracy needed work) and could hammer the ball when hitting. This is all with little technical knowledge of the game. It was just ability.

As the season wore on into summer, there was not a lot of time for practice (mostly tournaments and games). We decided to get her private instruction. Now it seems that all the little things that she has to know are confusing her to the point where she has regressed. I try to practice with her when I can (I am working several jobs at the moment). She does well at the private sessions (1 on 1), but when she is with her team, she looks like the worst girl on the team.

Is it normal for a girl to regress as she is being overwhelmed with new information? Is she just thinking too much and once she gets enough repetition, she will improve because she won't have to think? I am trying to gauge the best approach for getting her to improve.

May 25, 2010
Just looking at the physical, approximately how many inches has she grown during the year? Although it can certainly happen with any child, I hear this from many parents who then realize their kids have had a tremendous growth spurt during the period when it seems they may have regressed, skill-wise.

My daughter is still a stud in softball, but is nowhere near the soccer player she was 6-9 months ago. I'm sure that some of that is due to relative practice time, but if you watched her play soccer right now, you probably would not believe that she'd been so heavily recruited by the club teams as a 7yo back in the spring. (yes, beginner youth sports are taken just that seriously around here lol) She has to learn how to play the game in an entirely new body than she had back then.

Given that you're getting her solid instruction, my good-faith belief is that the player development will come so long as her desire is still there.

Sep 3, 2010
I think this happens with all sports, especially when they are young and still growing. Too much pressure too young doesn't help either. My daughter does gymnastics and when she had a 6" growth spurt almost all of her skills regressed. It tooks months to get them back, and there were many tears and heartache during the process. It can be very frustrating for the young athlete. It's a rollercoaster with happy and sad moments. Perhaps a two-week break?

Aug 13, 2010
She has grown several inches in a short period of time. I never considered that she needs to adjust to a new body.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She has grown several inches in a short period of time.

that will cause problems with their coordination. Just keep working with her on the fundamentals.

Is she just thinking too much

She might be. Girls can end up being little robots (move arm 2", move hips, move arms 6", etc.). During practice, it is OK to think of specifics.s But, there are times when she needs to turn off her brain and simply react to the ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Let me throw this out - How much are you talking to her about this? Is she always looking at you during the game? Are you yelling instruction? Do you show disappointment in your face?

Have you tried not going to the game and seeing how she plays?

You mention that you work several jobs, make certain that you are not taking out stress on her. :)

When my son first started basketball, I was guilty of yelling at him. He wouldn't shoot the ball. I complained all the time. Finally, I realized that I needed to shut my mouth. It wasn't my game.

Just play catch with her and smile, laugh, congratulate and praise her. Good luck and have fun.

Oct 18, 2009
Great advice Amy. I found myself "coaching" from the bleachers and when I stopped my DD improved considerably. I asked her about it and she said it is very distracting to hear my voice. I have asked the other parents to kick me when I get started as it is very hard for me to keep my mouth shut, but my DD is definitely better served. She knows how to do what she does if I will just trust and let her.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
The two voices they can never ignore when they are on the field, the coach, and mom and dad. "It's allright sweetie, just swing at strikes.":)

My DD definitely does better if I keep my mouth shut (those around me hate it because now I sit and mumble). Found that true, too, for DS - went to all of his basketball games in the winter. He'd stop dribbling, look at me and TELL ME to be quiet! LOL

Mar 15, 2010
About 2 years ago my DD was a second year 12U player and barely made her rec all star team. While she had very good natural talent her coordination made her appear very clumsy. She was in the midst of a growth spurt where she grew 9 inches in 2 years. Now that she has about settled at her adult height (15 yo 5' 9") for the past year she has become accustomed to her body and the drills and skills that she used to struggle with are now her strong suit. In two years she went from barely making a rec team to becoming one of the most recruited TB players in the area. Girls at 10 will not be the same at 12. I have seen superstars at 10 that are passed up and just above average by the time they are 12. Tell your DD to hang in there and keep trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug