She doesn't have a hitting coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2013
This is to piggy back off of the previous thread about how to approach those kids that have a hitting coach.

I've coached TB at 10u and 12U, currently have a DD that is 14U and a first year 10U. I will be coaching the first year 10U team this season.

We don't get to start practicing (indoors) until the end of March/early April. And even then we are limited in what we are able to accomplish before the league season and tournaments start depending on practice space availability and weather.

Knowing they are 10U's how much can TB coaches be expected to change a bad swing...we've all seen them. Obviously we will work on it but the season is so short with so much to cover is it acceptable to say that major improvements in a girls swing probably aren't going to happen during the TB season?

Is it fair to explain that to parents? How have you more seasoned coaches approach the fixing of hitting mechanics during the season?

How do you handle the parent that their DD hasn't done any lessons, doesn't swing in the off-season, and then wonder why their DD isn't getting any better then blames it on the coaches.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
With a first year 10U team, I don't think I would push the envelope much. Some of them will want to work more, some of them are still trying to figure out what they want to do (as OILF has stated). As they get older, hopefully they will want to spend more time working on their skills. I help coach a 14U team. Once we ended our fall season, we had a parents meeting, at which we informed everyone that we would be available periodically to work on hitting and pitching. At that time, I told them something that another coach told me. It went something like this; "At 14U nearly every pitcher you are going to face is seeing a private coach and is practicing multiple times per week. How do you expect to compete with that if you don't practice hitting". Considering that most of our players are involved with other sports throughout the fall and winter, I was very pleased with how many we had for our voluntary practices.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I found that if you could tweak a girls swing enough through small changes so that she is at least making solid contact, then the parents would think of you as a "hitting guru" and more than likely give you more time with their DD in the off-season. Then you could make more significant changes in her swing in order to come more in-line with what the true"hitting gurus" on here teach.

Apr 15, 2012
1st year 10u. If you have a lot of girls that aren't working outside practice, then IMO the most important thing you can do for them in the time you have is work on their attitudes when going in the box, their mental approach to hitting. I would want to see a whole team of girls going in the box and taking their hacks. Make it about hitting and not about striking out!! Let them swing, and praise them when they do, even if it's a ball. Don't forget, a lot of bunting at this age!! Every girl on the team should be able to put down a bunt when you need them to.

Apr 11, 2013
Where we are, travel isn't club ball yet. It's still community based, but the travel is around the metro area. 14U is the first chance for "club ball".

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
At what age / skill level does it make sense to get private instruction? When they are young, so they don't develop bad habits that later have to be corrected, or when they are older and competing at a more elite level?

It is common in other sports with similar mechanics to get private instruction at a relatively young age - ie. tennis, golf, etc.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It's always easier to learn to do something the right way the first time than it is to try to break ingrained habits and re-learn something later. IMO, a good objective is to have basic hitting and throwing mechanics ingrained before they hit their teens. How you can achieve that objective depends on many variables: age, ability, maturity, desire, objectives, older/younger siblings, parental knowledge and teaching ability, and financial and physical resources available. If you don't get lucky starting out w/ good rec SB program coaching, the rec BB program coaching may be a viable option. I wouldn't be inclined to start off with private coaching from the start. Group seminars or lessons can be a good starting point once they exhibit some interest and ability.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
My suggestion (as a parent who makes a point not to coach....it's just better for everyone) for first year teams, is to make a point to all parties that the first year is a developmental year. Teach fundamentals to all parties, even if they "think" they know them. For hitting, "1, 2, 3" drills should be used anytime the team does any bat work; Tee work would be great too, if time presents itself. If parents are the helping kind (and they need to know that they should be at the TB level), give them homework. Give each parent things to look at with each of their kids at home.

Other basic drills are available for defensive work, but you specifically mentioned offense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi