Sharp pain between neck and shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2010
What would a sharp pain between shoulder and neck occurring randomly over the last month indicate? We will be heading to the PT but want an idea of what to prepare for.

Thanks,

Jan 27, 2010
Is the sharp pain near the deltoid muscle or closer to the neck? What pitch does it seem to bother her the most?

Jan 17, 2010
The deltoid muscle. She gets the sharp pain always after a work out or occassional during. Sometimes the pain occurs randomly. But rarely.
Thanks,

Feb 6, 2010
I could be her trapezius muscle (sorry might not be spelled right). I slightly tore that muscle years ago pitching.
Shoulder shrugs work great if that's the problem.

Jan 27, 2010
Could possibly be the onset of bicep tendonitis if it is on the inside of the deltoid muscle, but it usually becomes unbearable at some point. She needs to warm up and do stretchs before throwing too hard. Normally a sign of using too much shoulder in her delivery or overuse. Dennis R could be right since it is in the same area between the neck and shoulder.I think it would show up more on a certain pitch and not so much on others. Is there a pitch that aggravates moreso than others? I hope she gets favorable diagnosis from the PT.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Look at her turning her body. I wasn't doing this and used my shoulder and elbow more as compensation and screwed them up quite bad.

Aug 21, 2008
catscratch... double check her mechanics first and foremost. The number one cause of injuries in this area is that the arm is not staying close to the head during the armcircle. The more distance between the bicep and ear during the arm circle, the more strain is put on the shoulder, scapula, rotators cuff, etc. This is partly why baseball pitchers are taught more and more to come over top with their delivery, instead of the sidearm crap.

Bill

Jan 17, 2010
Spent 1 1/2 hours with the pt - sports medicine. He's confident that the sharp pain is the result of immobility of the neck muscles due to lack of proper stretching before and after pitching. She will be going to therapy twice a week and in a few weeks will be reevaluated. She also has a regiment she needs to following at home, before games and after games. If things don't improve, she will need to take some time off.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00