Shame file: Inserted myself into game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
I don't think what you did was out of bounds. In the heat of the moment, even a good coach may overlook something.

Your story about the asst coach reminds me of something I did a few years ago.. We played a pretty good local team, and they have a pretty good ace. Her dad is the stereotypical helicopter pitcher's dad. You know the one.. behind the backstop, writing down pitch locations, radar gun in hand... His dd has a pretty decent changeup, and eats up a few batters with it. My dd was up and I was sitting about 20' away from helicopter dad. My dd got to something-2 in the count. I spurted out "watch the changeup"; don't think it's beyond what any parent would do. Apparently that's exactly what their coach signed, and my dd wound up putting it in play. Helicopter dad came unglued about "stealing signs". Got in my face and yelling and ranting. I just laughed. I will still occasionally, when we play them, drop a "watch out for the changeup", just to get his heart rate up. :)

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
Ummm, I think you picked the wrong guy to criticize. There are a lot of members on here that have coached for years and know the rules well, especially OBS. Crazy might be a very good description.

Easy there, I'm not criticizing anyone. We have no idea what these coaches know or don't know about the rules. Just because this parent decided to get involved doesn't mean the coaches weren't going to make an appeal. To imply that coaches who have apparently guided their team to an ASA nationals berth haven't read or know the rules before the season is a bit harsh. It sounds like this was a chaotic moment for everyone. If anyone is at fault it seems like it was the PU for not conferring with the BU who called OBS to get the call right in the first place.

Momo's Dad, congrats to your team and good luck at ASA Nationals.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't think what you did was out of bounds. In the heat of the moment, even a good coach may overlook something.

Your story about the asst coach reminds me of something I did a few years ago.. We played a pretty good local team, and they have a pretty good ace. Her dad is the stereotypical helicopter pitcher's dad. You know the one.. behind the backstop, writing down pitch locations, radar gun in hand... His dd has a pretty decent changeup, and eats up a few batters with it. My dd was up and I was sitting about 20' away from helicopter dad. My dd got to something-2 in the count. I spurted out "watch the changeup"; don't think it's beyond what any parent would do. Apparently that's exactly what their coach signed, and my dd wound up putting it in play. Helicopter dad came unglued about "stealing signs". Got in my face and yelling and ranting. I just laughed. I will still occasionally, when we play them, drop a "watch out for the changeup", just to get his heart rate up. :)

As a coach and as a pitcher's parent I love the "watch the change up" guy at the game. Because thats the secret code word for throw the heat right by her now that her dad has her thinking change up.

Sep 3, 2009
As a coach and as a pitcher's parent I love the "watch the change up" guy at the game. Because thats the secret code word for throw the heat right by her now that her dad has her thinking change up.

Yup, totally agree. Like I said, that was a couple years ago, and I've matured as a softball dad. But I still like to say it just to ruffle the feathers of this one particular dad. ;)

The "watch the change up" dad, is second only to "stay off the high ones" dad. Love the rise ball. :)

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Are you a coach? If so, do you have every single rule in the book memorized from cover to cover?

@Momo's Dad, I think you did the right thing. I'm with Jr10234 and want to know what the real drama was!

I have been the ignorant one on the wrong side of this point. However since then I have studied and asked questions of smarter people than I. While I would understand if this were a more obscure rule, things like obstruction, interference, HBP, look back are things that can and do happen so I feel a more common risk of having to deal with on game day. So I agree in part with the above. The more common rules should be understood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors