Setting Up for The Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I love getting out and watching my catchers at tournaments. You see things in the heat of the game that you don't see in a cage at a lesson. I also love visiting with their coaches. I get a lot of feedback on what they want to see in their catchers. (and what they should see in their catchers) One thing that I see with many catchers at tournaments so far this year is that catchers are setting up for an inside or outside pitch as soon as they give the sign. Thus giving the pitch location away to the batter. (If the batter chooses to keep one eye on the catcher)

The goal for the catcher should be to disguise the pitch location as long as possible. To do this the catcher must wait until the pitcher just begins their windup. (The batter will have to keep eyes forward at this point) Younger catchers will usually give the pitch sign, then set a centered target without moving, then as the the pitcher starts their windup, the catcher adjusts their stance and sets up for the pitch location. More experienced catchers may not set a target for the pitcher. (As Kara does in the video) The pitcher must be comfortable with this arrangement. (Most are) To see this set up, check out "Setting Up In Stance"

[video=youtube_share;5qp9ih1EQF4]http://youtu.be/5qp9ih1EQF4[/video]

-Chaz

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Chaz - she looks very solid behind the plate. On a nitpicking scale, although setting location too early can be a give away to the batter, she seems to be setting a little too late, particularly in the pitch starting at approx. 1:00. Once the pitcher starts the arm swing the hitter's focus is off the catcher and they can move then without tipping location. While setting up late might trouble an inexperienced pitcher, it shouldn't be a problem with a pitcher accustomed to it; however, my concern is the umpire who wants to set up after the catcher. It could be frustrating or problematic for an umpire who may not have enough time to adjust to the catcher's position before the pitch is on its way. Particularly problematic on inside pitches for the umpire who wants to be in the slot with a clear view of the inside corner and front outside corner. Doesn't look like its an issue for the ump in the video, who is WAY behind the catcher and doesn't seem to have an issue not being able to see the ball cross the plate!

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Many moons ago when I was a baseball catcher, I gave the same target every time, right down the middle. But after giving the signal for the pitch selection, I would give the signal for location, ie. right or left shoulder, right or left knee, outside or inside the plate. I must have had one for the head because the pitcher hit that target all too often.:) I don't know if that is still taught or is even feasible in softball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles