Sept. 1st is approaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
DD had a teammate that got her Ivy offer on Sept 1st her Jr. year. Had Harvard and UPenn following for sometime. We talked to her leading up to graduation and she said she wasn't proud about her Scores. She's a pitcher so I have a feeling they made it work.
Ivies will actually take some very high academic kids with lesser SB talent to balance out the exceptional athletes who don‘t quite meet the academic numbers they would need to get in as a non-athlete. It balances out the team average. At least that’s how they used to do it.

That being said, there are schools that are more difficult than the Ivies to get into as a great athlete who does not have the numbers a non-athlete would need to get admitted.

Apr 28, 2014
We were at a Coastal Carolina camp when DD's 9/1 arrived. We went to sleep that night not even remembering 9/1 was the next day. I woke up around 4AM to get rid of the beer I rented that day and peeked at my phone and saw that emails had arrived. There were several from coaches who didn't come to see DD play but wanted to talk and some who had come out to see her during the travel season. The email that she wanted from the Coastal Coaches also arrived.
That morning a hurricane was headed for the Carolinas so the camp was canceled and we jumped in the truck to drive home. DD made the calls on the way home. It was fun listening to her have conversations with coaches that we had seen over the last two years but only spoke with during camps. She did get a few invites for visits from schools that we had no idea had any interest in her. Some were camp invites too. I've said this a few times, but we used Captain U... the service was $20/month and allowed DD to see what coaches opened up her emails and which ones did not. This was very helpful for her to understand who had interest and who was inviting her to camps just for the check.

Dec 6, 2019
Good for her! The interesting part for us was contact from a couple schools where there had been minimal prior exposure, and one high level school from completely out of the blue.
How out of the blue is completely? Never been to camp? Never emailed the coaches?

May 13, 2023
High academic SAT and ACT test scores put academic athletes on the radar list. These candidates often will be contacted by colleges out of the blue.
(colleges that the player themselves has not contacted and yet the colleges will contact out of the blue)

Apr 23, 2023
High academic SAT and ACT test scores put academic athletes on the radar list. These candidates often will be contacted by colleges out of the blue.
(colleges that the player themselves has not contacted and yet the colleges will contact out of the blue)
Any idea how coaches know a kid‘s test scores if not sending them emails? I guess some clubs send them out. sportsrecruits or if you put it on Twitter?

Nov 5, 2014
How out of the blue is completely? Never been to camp? Never emailed the coaches?
For DD's team this was rare with the exception of pitchers. Just about every contact came from a school where the player had been to a camp, emailed the coach, or the coach had watched our team play. The few exceptions were for the pitchers who seemed to each have a couple of completely random schools reach out to them.

What I can't be sure of is if these seemingly random coaches had seen us play at a big tournament Colorado, Alliance etc.. without us realizing it.

May 13, 2023
Any idea how coaches know a kid‘s test scores if not sending them emails? I guess some clubs send them out. sportsrecruits or if you put it on Twitter?
Yes different sports recruit platforms. As well the database from testing. At a certain level of academic excellence students are contacted as part of a national award program. So admissions Departments of colleges will reach out to these young candidates. From that the admissions office can interact communicating with the college sports coach letting them know the player will already be admitted into the college. Both of these can trigger emails connecting with the student academically and athletically. Either. Even both. I have seen it happen where the administration department carried a player's portfolio over to the college coach and spoke directly about the candidate with the coach. Even before the coach knew of the player at all. The admissions Department had already reached out to the player. And said they would speak with the coach on their behalf.
Basically colleges want High academic Excellence attending. They are sought after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1