"Separation" Defined by Tulane's Brockoff

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 28, 2009
After watching the on-line video by Joe Brockoff, I wondered how his hitting system would be received by this forum. Brockhoff was the Tulane baseball coach for 25 years (he's new to me). Much of what he teaches is consistent with the hitting techniques that are described in posts by the knowledgeable people here. But he seems to correlate ANY separation of the hands from the body with casting. Some "walking away from your hands" is acceptable, but it would be better to literally place the bat on the shoulder of the hitter and attack from there. His keeping the bat on the shoulder during the learning phase is similar to Mike Epstein's deltoid drill. However, he teaches continuing the technique past the learning phase and into game situations.
Am I understanding this right? I have benefitted greatly from comparative discussions in this forum. Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
What is the current understanding of what separation is? How is torque involved? How is stretch involved? Is separation really separation... or is it connection?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I think he is kind of all over the place. Some of what he says I like though.

I don't view separation as the distance the hands get away from the body. I define that as casting. I view separation as the hips leading the hands.

The bat in the crook of the neck can be good because it simplifies the swing. However I've seen players still screw up the swing from this handset position because they are never taught the feel of how the top hand works. Believe it or not, the front elbow can still collaspe prematurely, even if the player starts with the bat in the crook of the neck.

I really like his focus on getting in a good attack position to strike the ball. Epstein calls this position the Torque Position.

I like the clips of Ted. It wasn't clear to me if he understands what Ted is doing to get his hands into a good striking position. The way he demonstrates it is not what Ted does in the clip. Merely dropping your hands from your handset position onto your shoulder is more like slot-then-swing. I saw this with my DD and another Epstein instructed player on our team when they moved the bat off the deltoid.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
DD was once taught to start with bat on shoulder that way standing up straingt by a man that had taught softball for 25 yrs, and had many player in collegiate ball. She wouldnt do it, afraid of what others would think. Tried it in a batting cage, worked great, better than regular stance, higher percent of balls hit solidly. Still wouldnt use it in a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid