Semi-Regionals... 47 foot mound... you gotta read this story!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Somewhat similar: Flintridge Sacred Heart beat Alemany for the first time in its history. However, just before the first pitch, Alemany objected that the rubber was at 43 ft (two years ago, HS still used 40 ft). For some reason, the rubber could not be moved. The league insisted the game must be played, Alemany played under protest, and lost the game. Later, the protest was granted, and the game had to be replayed; this time Alemany won. Note that both pitchers were TB pitchers and hence used to 43 ft.

Other games that had already been played at the same field were not affected.

Nov 1, 2009
It sounds like maybe some slowpitch was being played on that field. I would find it hard to believe that no one would notice in over 20 games if the distance was that far off.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
It sounds like maybe some slowpitch was being played on that field. I would find it hard to believe that no one would notice in over 20 games if the distance was that far off.

No one ever uses that field besides my HS team... No other teams play on it or practice on it. I'm shocked that our pitchers didn't put up more of a fuss when they said it didn't feel right.

Mar 25, 2011
Would be an interesting experiment...putting the mound deliberately off by a foot. See how many girls would pick it up without any hints. Not sure if it would reveal anything about the girl, maybe vision, depth perception, amount of time practicing....

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Would be an interesting experiment...putting the mound deliberately off by a foot. See how many girls would pick it up without any hints. Not sure if it would reveal anything about the girl, maybe vision, depth perception, amount of time practicing....

You can do one of those frog-in-hot-water experiments: every practice you put the rubber a foot farther, and see whether they catch on before you reach 2nd base.

Of course, what it really reveals is that your typical pitcher doesn't want to admit that's she's feeling so weak she can barely reach the plate.

Jun 22, 2008
Back before they switched all the older girls over to 43', my daughters club coach entered them in an 18 gold round robin that was pitching from 43'. They never told anyone of the players the pitching distance was longer and to be honest, it really didnt affect the pitchers at all. They all made the adjustment within just a few pitches. In fact, it was the 3rd game of the day before they started stepping it off and realized it was 43'. What it did really affect was the batting. Took several innings for the girls to get the timing right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand