Seam Shifted Wakes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
There is some fascinating data and video in the rest of that thread that I linked to, if you have the patience to look through it and, at times, be frustrated by a lack of understanding. As pitching coaches we have all had a pitcher throw us a pitch with some unusual, unexplainable break, that doesn't match up with the spin. Duplicating that effect is often difficult but if you have the basic understanding that it is a combination of spin axis and seam orientation you might have a chance. Seam orientation (grip) is the wild card, the spin axis is plainly visible. This whole concept is relatively new to baseball and is just beginning to get some study.

May 13, 2023
Bumped for content!
@ArmWhip like that while you have years of experience in softball you still have an open mind to consider new things!

I remember seeing (from the batters box) an underhand knuckleball thrown that the ball joggled back and forth (left/right)
while traveling to the plate.
Trying to explain it to people some are not able to get the full understanding of what's happening... that a ball was literally changing directions back and forth as it's traveling forward.
( people more commonly think a knuckleball is just traveling forward without spin. But reality is there can be movement)
Not many people have actually seen that themselves live includes up close detail.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
( people more commonly think a knuckleball is just traveling forward without spin. But reality is there can be movement)
Not many people have actually seen that themselves live includes up close detail.
A pitcher throwing a knuckle Ball better hope there is movement :) If it is not moving, the pitcher is going to be in for a very long, yet very short day. I know I've seen it first hand in the field more than a couple of times. There is definitely a moment of panic when that rocket line drive, right at you, knuckles.

Jul 11, 2023
I know at least 12 girls who have seen a knuckleball. It's surprisingly easy to do with a hack attack pitching machine. :oops:

Then you start watching the player and not the ball and can't figure out what in the world is going on.

Ok... back on topic.

May 17, 2023
I know at least 12 girls who have seen a knuckleball. It's surprisingly easy to do with a hack attack pitching machine. :oops:

Then you start watching the player and not the ball and can't figure out what in the world is going on.

Ok... back on topic.

Also very easy to do with double wheel Jugs. Didn't read instructions and just thought both wheels should be horizontal at same speed to throw FB. There are more than a couple warnings in the manual not to do this.

After about the 6th batter hit we decided maybe something was wrong. Oops......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid