Scrimmages...to score or not to score?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I would be interested to hear where people stand on scoring or not scoring during a scrimmage. A buddy of mine who coaches does not score because he feels it's more about learning. And my DD's travel coach does score because she feels it gives the girls incentive to play harder and makes them feel like something is at stake. Teams are 14U, B level. What is your opinion? Personally, I don't think there's a hard and fast rule to score or not, I feel it depends on the team and which way gives them better results. I'm in the "score it" camp because if we practice like we play then why not score?

I would be interested to hear where people stand on scoring or not scoring during a scrimmage. A buddy of mine who coaches does not score because he feels it's more about learning. And my DD's travel coach does score because she feels it gives the girls incentive to play harder and makes them feel like something is at stake. Teams are 14U, B level. What is your opinion? Personally, I don't think there's a hard and fast rule to score or not, I feel it depends on the team and which way gives them better results. I'm in the "score it" camp because if we practice like we play then why not score?

Scrimmages are for your team to work on game situations and to let your bench players get some PT to make them better in case of injury etc.That being said yes I would score in a scrimmage because your team has to know how to score. I've actually put runners in scoring position to work on stuff like suicide bunt, runner on second put a kid at bat that I want to see how2 she handle that particular situation etc.

Now if the question was does it matter if you win or lose a scrimmage? game then I say no. It's all about working to make your team better but we try to win....

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
When my dd's team plays in a scrimmage game, they play it just like a game, but they don't keep score. Coaches say it's about learning and improving in a game-like situation, so they play it like a game with one of the coaches being the umpire, but keeping score doesn't really do anything to help them improve.

Jul 26, 2010
I've never heard of scoring scrimmages. They are practices. Usually you only play a few innings and then coaches run situations (runners on). It would be silly to try to add them to stats.

-W

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We are all over the place in how we run scrimmages.

Sometimes we do run limits to move the game along. Sometimes it all situations. Sometimes we score one game and then not the second. Sometimes we just play it like a full game.

That is the great thing about scrimmages. You can get two teams together and do whatever you want to help move your team forward under close to game conditions.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
One scrimmage we used to run was each team went through the entire line up each "inning" after every 3rd out we would clear the bases and keep going until every girl batted once. Each "inning" I would use a different pitcher. At the end of the game it didn't matter how many runs you scored or didn't because sometimes you would go through your whole line up without making 3 outs and the other team would need 9 outs to get through the whole line up. This way every girl on each team got the same number of at bats, and the coaches could feel free to work on what ever they wanted to without having to worry about burning an inning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan