Screwball Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Testing my Google Drive...with my favorite clip :cool:

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B42m65Jc-KmXZC1zVnI2V3FBcnc/preview" width="562" height="338"></iframe>

Finally got it... don't like it... :{((

EP: Looking like it got warmed up, and is playing pretty good now. :cool:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2016
I have read this thread completely. DD is only 12 and we have not even tried the screwball. I've read too much about how it can undermine good pitch mechanics especially at a young age. The question I pose is if you are looking for screwball movement why not just throw 2 seem with I guess the correct term would be correct finger pressure? DD never threw 2 seam until this year. While she is still figuring it out and mostly throws it with movement away from RH batters as an RH pitcher I can ask her to try add more finger pressure to the other side and suddenly it breaks up to 4-5" in on a RH batter. Add a little screwball angle and it seems it might be a good pitch. What's your thoughts?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I have read this thread completely. DD is only 12 and we have not even tried the screwball. I've read too much about how it can undermine good pitch mechanics especially at a young age. The question I pose is if you are looking for screwball movement why not just throw 2 seem with I guess the correct term would be correct finger pressure? DD never threw 2 seam until this year. While she is still figuring it out and mostly throws it with movement away from RH batters as an RH pitcher I can ask her to try add more finger pressure to the other side and suddenly it breaks up to 4-5" in on a RH batter. Add a little screwball angle and it seems it might be a good pitch. What's your thoughts?

I agree with you @ 12yrs old, get the good pitch mechanics. With 2Seam, you'll have movement & be ready for the hitters you face. :cool:

Now I'm sure you have been hearing about getting spin on the ball, and that can be done w/ drop & rise... The best will tell you all you need is
them 2 & a CU...

We did the curve & screw to make practice fun...:cool:

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I agree with you @ 12yrs old, get the good pitch mechanics. With 2Seam, you'll have movement & be ready for the hitters you face. :cool:

Now I'm sure you have been hearing about getting spin on the ball, and that can be done w/ drop & rise... The best will tell you all you need is
them 2 & a CU...

We did the curve & screw to make practice fun...:cool:

Agree and sometimes you have to add something to make it fun. We focus on change, rise, drop and that is pretty much it. DD throws them all well and has for awhile now. Her change is still her best IMO as it is the Pauly change (stated that many times before). I have never taught her the curve and perhaps I should at some point. Just reading the comments over the years, Hillhouse comes to mind, we just try to go up or down and not left to right (except for spots of course). Not saying either curve or screw is bad at all and I have seen some girls who throw the screw to the RHB effectively all day long. DD has worked on the screw in the past and will probably add it back in soon. To Perfect C's point, keep it fun and love to test my DD with different things. She loves it more than I do so I keep doing it.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I was messing around while warming up one of my kids tonight and nailed this spin!!! Total accident while playing with rollover feels. I used a split finger grip using the ring and pinky fingers (ring finger pressure.) Can't express how awesome it was to see the tape with a nice scrop spin!

KB- you look like a Hillhouse on steroids. Please know that is nothing but a compliment!!! I wouldn't want to face you as a batter!!:eek:

Edy

May 24, 2010
Wonder what going on with EDY.... he's gotta have god stuff to share by now ...

Hello!

I've been absent from the forum for quite a while now
I'm sorry about that...

Turns out that both my knee caps were basically destroyed by condromalacya.. I'm still struggling with the pain but I'm getting better slowly.

Because of that I've been away from the field and unfortunately I have no progression or new clips to share. One of my teammates though is showing good control on the screwball and he is using the exactly same approach I used:

Think of a riseball grip (splitting the fingers to create pressure on the ball). At the release, instead of going with the hand under the ball you should keep the hand behind the ball.
The trick here is to avoid locking the wrist. The wrist must be loose enough to allow the pressure on the ball to work and thus allowing the ball to "escape" of your pointer finger with side spin

As always, it's much easier to say than to do, but that's the way I used to do, and it happened by accident while working on the riseball..

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Does anybody really throw a screwball? Trying out a new pitcher who was throwing her screwball, I was behind the catcher and asked "that was the screwball right? didn't seem to have the right spin (more bullet spin) and didn't look like it broke at all" Catcher said, "no that's right **** throws a screwball too and it looks exactly like that!"

Apr 12, 2015
Does anybody really throw a screwball? Trying out a new pitcher who was throwing her screwball, I was behind the catcher and asked "that was the screwball right? didn't seem to have the right spin (more bullet spin) and didn't look like it broke at all" Catcher said, "no that's right **** throws a screwball too and it looks exactly like that!"

Every screwball I've seen is just an angled pitch to the inside, typically thrown with basic IR spin or bulletspin.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Every screwball I've seen is just an angled pitch to the inside, typically thrown with basic IR spin or bulletspin.

This is the 1st thing I questioned about our 1st and only pitching coach, HE pitchin, he was teaching bullet spin with a jump out stride, turning the door knob. I caught for all the girls, never seen any movement, but occasionally he would say "there it is" I never seen it. Never understood why a curve would have 3 to 9 spin, but a screw would have bullet. If bullet spin is all your after, IR makes it alot easier and faster, still no movement though.