Scoring question re: FC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I do see a quirk in the rules though. You can't assume a double play. So if the defensive player recording the PO makes an attempt at the BR at 1B would the very same play be scored a base hit?

Laughing at myself. Posted first answer at 2:56 am, followed up at 3:03 am. It took only 7 minutes to lose all coherent thought.

:confused::eek:

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Still a fielder's choice, no hit.

Let's say you have a 'routine' double-play opportunity, but the first baseman drops the ball at first. Strangely, that is not an error. The rules are essentially saying that once the defense gets one out, the defense has done its job. Anything after that is gravy, and there will be no penalty for not getting the gravy.

Unless, of course, the bad throw results in the batter runner taking second base. Then it would be a FC for the batter due to the out at second, and E4 or E6 on the throw from second base to first base which allowed the runner to advance a base.

Jun 11, 2012
This is how it was explained to me and helps me understand why. The below is from an iscore forum.

"Fielder's Choice. From Official Rules | MLB.com: Official info

Rule 10.05
(b) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a:
(1) runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error;

(when applying correct 'official scoring' there are a number of things that may seem disadvantageous to defense or offense, but when applied consistently across the board, creates a level statistical playing field-. )

here is an outstanding Scorers guide for Fast pitch https://nfca.org/web_docs/store/ATECBeyondBasicsOfScoring.pdf

and here is a Quote to re iterate = FC

Quote:
Credit a fielder's choice
1. when a ball is put in play where a preceding runner is forced out on the hit, or would have been forced out had no error occurred,

batters are penalized for putting the ball in play to enable a fielders choice. Just like they are penalized (no RBI) when they hit into a double play, even if a run is plated on the play. Just the way the rules have been defined and applied consistently over time."

It made since after a game this weekend. A pop-up between 3rd and SS. Both players call for ball and let ball drop between the two without either touching the ball. Both could have caught the ball but don't so it's scored as a hit. Another example happened in an earlier game. Fly ball hit to left field. LF's first step was in then she tried to run back to catch ball. If she would have made her first step back she would have caught the ball. It is still scored as a hit, in this case it was a double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g