Scorekeeping Question: What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Another question for the scorekeepers out there. We've all seen this one many times but I want to be sure since it was a state tournament. It happened several times on both sides throughout pool and bracket play.

Batter hits clean line drive through the infield slot, one hopper to RF who fields it cleanly and does three arm pumps before finding and throwing to the cutoff waving hands. Batter-runners and runners don't stop and get a run or two and extra bases, and batter holds up on third base. Batter's parents say "Suzy just hit a triple." I gave Suzy a single and the appropriate RBI and called the extra bases resulting from the RF's mental error DEFENSIVE INDIFFERENCE.

How do you score it?

Thanks again all.

Jun 7, 2013
Another question for the scorekeepers out there. We've all seen this one many times but I want to be sure since it was a state tournament. It happened several times on both sides throughout pool and bracket play.

Batter hits clean line drive through the infield slot, one hopper to RF who fields it cleanly and does three arm pumps before finding and throwing to the cutoff waving hands. Batter-runners and runners don't stop and get a run or two and extra bases, and batter holds up on third base. Batter's parents say "Suzy just hit a triple." I gave Suzy a single and the appropriate RBI and called the extra bases resulting from the RF's mental error DEFENSIVE INDIFFERENCE.

How do you score it?

Thanks again all.

If it's my DD, then it's a triple. If it's someone else's DD it's a single.

Oct 24, 2010
Slow play is not an error.

Offense: Extra Base Hits
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. Credit a batter with an extra base hit when she reaches a base beyond first base
solely because of her hit,
a - if tagged out after over sliding, the batter does not get credit for that base, only the preceding base,
b - if tagged out after over running, the batter does get credit for that base, and
c - if a batter misses a base, she gets credit for only the bases she touched before missing the base.
2. A batter is credited only with the base she would have reached safely had no
play on a preceding runner taken place. If she stops, sees another play, then
advances, she does not receive credit for that base,
a - a batter never gets credit for a triple if a preceding runner at home
is out, or would have been out had no error occurred, and the same
applies for no double credit with an out or error at third base, and
b - if a fielder merely holds the ball too long, the batter gets credit for
all bases she takes.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
No matter how you score it, there is a 92.8% chance the RF will be sitting next to me on the bench next inning if this is TB!

Jan 24, 2011
No matter how you score it, there is a 92.8% chance the RF will be sitting next to me on the bench next inning if this is TB!

Nope. You cant do that. It would hurt her development and isn't fair. Don't believe me? Just check out some of the other threads that are hot right now :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877