2 How do you score it questions???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2011
#1...Bases Loaded no outs...Batter hit a meduim deep flyball to CF which is routinely catchable runner on 3rd is on the base tagging up..Runner on 3rd is the lead off hitter and will score easily..The center fielder drops the ball and all runners safely advance....

How is it scored??

--Is the batter given a sac fly, RBI and No charged at bat safe at first on E-8

or

Is it E-8 charged with the At bat cannot assume the sacrifice and is she awarded and RBI??

#2...Bases Loaded....Batter is out on an infield fly rule...It is slightly windy and the ball drops next to the 2nd baseman..

--Is the batter awarded and RBI??
--Is the 2nd baseman charged with an Error??

Thanks

Jun 29, 2013
I don't think it's an error as you describe it. But I don't know how to describe it in the book either. I'm with Greenmonsters, I would use his scoring if I were in charge.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My line of reasoning would agree w/ GM and EGH.

It could be ruled an error if the scorekeeper believes F4 misplayed it. Then no RBI. But if the wind made the play overly difficult, then I'd say batter is out, RBI. I wouldn't call it a FC, though. Runners advanced on the batted ball, not a fielder's decision.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
1 - total agreement with GM on scoring
2 - E4 - allowing run to score no RBI. By rule an IF-rule is a ball catchable by ordinary effort, if not then no IF-rule should have been called.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
1 - total agreement with GM on scoring
2 - E4 - allowing run to score no RBI. By rule an IF-rule is a ball catchable by ordinary effort, if not then no IF-rule should have been called.

A misjudged pop up or fly ball is not ruled an error. So it can still be catchable w/ ordinary effort (and thus an infield fly) but misjudged and not caught without being an error. Not as certain about the RBI and FC.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
A misjudged pop up or fly ball is not ruled an error. So it can still be catchable w/ ordinary effort (and thus an infield fly) but misjudged and not caught without being an error. Not as certain about the RBI and FC.

True. My bad, I misread it as "2B drops ball" instead of "ball drops next to 2B".

So I agree with you now.

Mar 26, 2013
1. Agree w/ GM - Sac Fly, ROE-8, RBI

2. RBI and no error (wind blown / misjudged). I'd score it a Sac Fly.

14.10.1 When a plate appearance meets the following four criteria: 1) there are fewer than two outs, 2) the batter hits a fly ball or line drive that scores a base runner, regardless of where the ball is caught (in fair or foul territory), as long as it is in play, 3) a run must score, and 4) a run batted in must be credited to the batter.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
14.10.1 When a plate appearance meets the following four criteria: 1) there are fewer than two outs, 2) the batter hits a fly ball or line drive that scores a base runner, regardless of where the ball is caught (in fair or foul territory), as long as it is in play, 3) a run must score, and 4) a run batted in must be credited to the batter.

It wasn't caught. :) Although it does go down in the books as F-4.

But in any event, I think this rule (albeit baseball) would rule out a sac fly --

Rule 10.09 (e): "(e) Score a sacrifice fly when, before two are out, the batter hits a fly ball or a line drive handled by an outfielder or an infielder running in the outfield which (1) is caught, and a runner scores after the catch, or (2) is dropped, and a runner scores, if in the scorer's judgment the runner could have scored after the catch had the fly been caught.

Mar 26, 2013
It wasn't caught. :) Although it does go down in the books as F-4.

But in any event, I think this rule (albeit baseball) would rule out a sac fly --

Rule 10.09 (e): "(e) Score a sacrifice fly when, before two are out, the batter hits a fly ball or a line drive handled by an outfielder or an infielder running in the outfield which (1) is caught, and a runner scores after the catch, or (2) is dropped, and a runner scores, if in the scorer's judgment the runner could have scored after the catch had the fly been caught.
Yeah, I was going to say SF if the runner would have scored on a catch, but erroneously talked myself into making it unconditional.

Score keepers are required to account for the advancement of each base. The combination of the IFF call and no error doesn't leave many good options. It could be FC if F4 made an attempt on a runner. Absent SF or FC, the bases were obtained via F-4 - which looks very strange for a runner scoring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321