School Ball wrap up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
If they are going to quit It's better to have players/parents quit early on. I'd rather work with those that want to be there. Negativity is poisonous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
We play our school ball in the fall so we are having tryouts now. My daughter will be going into 9th grade so she is trying out for the JV team. I have a lot of concerns because of the way our middle school feeder was handled and I am not even sure I want her to try out due to parent/kid drama that we had. Your comments make me even more worried because where we are, Daddy ball and politics rule the day. I had hoped the HS ball would be different but it doesn't sound like it.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Dad messaged the coach asking if D did something wrong. He did this while both D and I was at her softball game. Since he didn’t go, we had no idea until we got home. D was upset with dad.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
I think it's good to keep in mind that everyone has a different experience with high school ball. DD1 graduated a couple of years ago and played softball all 4 years. She enjoys the game but wasn't a travel ball player. She played quite a bit in high school ball but was also a victim of some of the things I often see mentioned here. Her junior year she was in line to take over CF. Backup to an awesome player freshman and sophomore years. But didn't get the starting spot when another players parents went and had a talk with the coach about how their daughter wanted to play outfield even though she never had. She was upset but I let her handle it. We also had an issue later where another teammate got benched for poor play and after her parents (one of which was a school board member) went to the AD, my DD1 was then benched the next game because she "wasn't taking it seriously". This was her senior year. He chose to wait until they were warming up before the game to pull her aside and tell her. She had a meltdown and it was everything I could do to not tear into the coach. But I refused to be that parent who demanded special treatment.

With all of that being said, I still recommend high school ball. Luckily DD2 will be playing for a different coach when she gets there. I feel that the new coach is better about playing the girls that deserve to play but I have already been told by several parents that she doesn't know what she's doing. Mostly because she didn't come in and start the same lineup as he would have.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
The worst part is dad continuously trying to “fix” her....thinking that was the solution....he just made it worse. He has no clue on what he is talking about but thinks he has the solution. She didn’t need someone telling her what she was doing wrong in softball but a dad to be there to comfort her, not fix the situation. She accepted the situation for what it was a lot earlier in the season. D has tried to explain to dad on several occasions but he would not listen.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles