Scholarship question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Had a young lady call me asking about her ( full athletic ) scholarship and a summer course. She's doing a nursing degree and the course calls for a summer class between her freshman/sophomore year. It's a normal setting for the degree, and is only offered at that specific time of year. She said the coach implied that the scholarship didn't cover that one particular class, because it's a "summer class".

I'm stumped, never had to deal with summer classes. Is that normal? Is it because its not considered in a "normal school year"? It's only like $400, but $400 is $400.

Any advice as how I should reply to her? Anyone with that experience? Thanks.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Which semesters are covered should be spelled out in her agreement. DD's also does not cover summer classes.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ok thanks. None of us took summer classes so it was not an answer I had on tap. But I learned something out of it. I told her to check her documentation, but I'm certain it's by semester like you stated. She did say the coach offered to pay for the class, if at the end of 2014 ( spring ) they had some $$$ left in the budget.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Had a young lady call me asking about her ( full athletic ) scholarship and a summer course. She's doing a nursing degree and the course calls for a summer class between her freshman/sophomore year. It's a normal setting for the degree, and is only offered at that specific time of year. She said the coach implied that the scholarship didn't cover that one particular class, because it's a "summer class".

I'm stumped, never had to deal with summer classes. Is that normal? Is it because its not considered in a "normal school year"? It's only like $400, but $400 is $400.

Any advice as how I should reply to her? Anyone with that experience? Thanks.

It is normal not to be covered and normal for them to have to take one. Payment for the class from coach is his or her discretion. If not taken thru the summer your looking at a 5th year in college. One of the down sides of trying to play ball and get that medical degree

Just differs by scholarship sounds like coach is at least willing to try and help out which is all you can ask for. Buddy of mine has son at OU for football scholarship for them summer classes are mandatory, obviously so they can be on campus, since football starts as soon as the semester starts.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Good thread - I never would have thought of this. I wonder if it applies to academic scholarships, need based type grants, etc as well. We are just starting to research schools and the costs are giving me heart palpitations!

Academic scholarship are the same you just have to read the fine print. Some are for academic year, some are only for specific semesters, some actually make you take a certain number of classes, most have grade requirements, the answer is just depends.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd had to take a summer class as well and it was not covered. That is the lay of the land.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
As far as the course itself, yes it is normal for a Nursing degree. My oldest DD will be a Sr in the Nursing program and it was the same for her (although not on scholarship).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes