Scholarship question, in-state tuition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If a school offers an out of state softball player in-state tuition as an incentive to come to their school, is that considered a scholarship or just an "incentive"? How does the NCAA view it towards the 12 D1 scholarship limit? There can be a BIG disparity in the in-state vs. out-of-state tuition rates, especially at a state school.

Auburn University - Alabama resident $9,446, non-resident $25,190.

AUBURN UNIVERSITY ESTIMATED STUDENT EXPENSE BUDGETS

Jun 22, 2008
I dont believe it counts as anything toward an athletic scholarship, they probably if anything consider it an academic scholarship. My daughter was not only given in state tuition, tuition was completely waived because of her grades. It didnt count at all against the schools athletic scholarships.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I just spoke w/ a former SEC head coach of another non-revenue sport. He said that waiving out-of-state tuition would count as a partial athletic scholarship unless it was waived for academic reasons. He said every school has a different policy about waiving the out-of-state tuition for academic reasons. He said his school almost never waived it, but that two other SEC schools (Ole Miss, Miss State) waived out-of-state tuition for as little as a 1040 SAT score. Those academic waivers would not count against the athletic scholarship limit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez