Recruiting - Decision Time!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
My daughter experience was not quite the same but certainly close enough.

'21 grad. She said early on she did not want to play D1 so never pursued it. (I never though she was D1 material early in HS so I thought that was a smart move) Long story short, her Jr year she got a lot better and got unsolicited D1 interest and offers.

She ended up with D1, D2 and D3 offers. Once she figured out what she wanted to major in, which is unique, most the schools feel off her list.

The main D1 offered the most money 75% of a full ride (tuition + room and board). But D2 had the better majors. D2 also had the coach we all liked better. And D2 a better opportunity softball wise. While the D2 offer was not as much, it was good enough for us financially. And D2 is closer so we can watch more games.

Regarding the offers timetable. Her main D2 offered her in November of her junior year. The coach said take as long as you want to decide - even if that is Signing Day of her senior year. The main D1 school made the offer but never put a time on it. About 3 months after the D1 offer, D1 coach called to chat and find out how things were going. My daughter told them the truth: they were second on her list (they had never asked before). Within 2 weeks they went out and found someone else and her offer was pulled. I do not blame them one bit. ( I wanted to keep the offer open for a while in case I lost my job. If I had lost my job, she would likely have gone D1 just for the $ even though it would not have been ideal major wise)
Really helpful; thank you for sharing and I'm happy it worked out the right way for your DD!

May 6, 2015
echoing some comments above, make an education and financial bases choice, not a softball one. her college career in softball will last 4 years, here education she will presumably be using for the next 30 years after graduation.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Financials aside; the best question is always "How would she feel at college X if softball was out of the equation?"

My DD had offers across the board from D1-D3/NAIA, but when she first walked onto campus at her college, she took one look around, turned to me, and said "This is it."

Despite COVID softball which has meant no real competition for the team; she is living her best college life.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Financials aside; the best question is always "How would she feel at college X is softball was out of the equation?"

My DD had offers across the board from D1-D3/NAIA, but when she walked onto campus at her college, she took one look around, turned to me, and said "This is it."

Despite COVID softball which has meant no real competition for the team; she is living her best college life.
This!!!!
If something happened and she could no longer play softball would she still love the school?
i’ve seen too many kids transfer because even with softball they didn’t like the school, campus, housing, location etc.

Apr 9, 2020
there is no perfect answer , so many variables especially in these times. first and foremost like most have mentioned EDUCATION priority would it be as school she attend without softball? second for most could be financial at end of education you shouldn't sacrifice financial debt to play softball when other universities might be better . third should be fit for softball type of play the team plays , big bats, speed, pitching defense etc.. and what fits your daughter best.. next should be how the university handled the pandemic did the shut down right away did they try to be in person etc that should go in hand with location and ease of travel to and from depending on health and in classroom education as well as you guys going to watch in person.. also roster size and how many travel away games and how many are utilizing extra year of eligibility. most don't come back to sit... make a list of checks and balances and see what fits best and also pay attention to your gut (most of time doesn't disappoint) take your time as this is unique world we are living in and hard to touch feel and get true sense of any place in these times .. nice to have choices and if she has talent (already demonstrated obtaining these offers ) she should have spot that suits her and affords her best of both worlds.. best of luck and please let us know..

Oct 4, 2018
Fascinating stuff. I'd love to know the college names but of course best not to share that info yet.

I loved college and loved my university and time there. So yes, I gotta say pick the school you love and that feels right. And of course it's her decision to make. 100% her decision, assuming it agrees with yours. :p

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Not that anyone necessarily cares, but...after receiving a total of 8 offers (D1 x 2; D2 X 4; NAIA x 2), we did a visit a few weeks ago to a D1 on the East Coast, got a really nice scholarship money with both athletic and academic support (DD has a 4.0) and she committed the next day! She is incredibly excited and dedicated to working her butt off during her senior year of high school to improve her skills as much as possible and also get a lot of hours worked so she can help pay for it!

Whole family is on cloud 9! (except for Mama who is a little sad her BFF is moving so far away)

Jan 3, 2021
Good job to you and your Dd. You both worked so hard and I’m glad you found the school that’s right for her! Excited to see where her softball career goes from here!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom