Saw the top-ranked 2027 player this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
That's abusive to a girl at any age, let alone at 13.
What are the guidelines for max number of pitches? Is there a guide someplace? Does it include practice pitches? I agree that 300 sounds absurd but I wonder where her family is in all of this.....or if the kid has arm pain.

Jun 8, 2016
What are the guidelines for max number of pitches? Is there a guide someplace? Does it include practice pitches? I agree that 300 sounds absurd but I wonder where her family is in all of this.....or if the kid has arm pain.

I’ve seen guidelines somewhere. In the low to mid 100’s range for a day (tops) I believe.

Obviously there are genetic freaks who can withstand huge pitching loads(Nolan Ryan for example) and she might be one of them but I am not sure at 13/14 YO betting on that is a good idea..

Sep 1, 2021

I'm pretty sure her dad coaches. They did the extra innings podcast together (from the cheap seats).

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Did she pitch every game for them? She threw like 2000 innings last season. There was quite a drop off between her and their second pitcher..

Edit: Just checked GC, she pitched 21 out of 28 innings on Sunday..313 pitches.
Wow. That is an incredibly high amount of pitches for a single day. Hard to believe that all those pitches will not catch up to her in the long run.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter is 16, and she just finished her HS season with around 110 IP. During our first playoff game, she pulled herself out because of shoulder pain. We promptly got killed in that and our next game because our second pitcher stinks. One Ortho visit, and one MRI visit later, it seems she has bursitis of her shoulder caused from overuse. It's not a season ending injury, but it did put a scare into me and her.

Anyone who lets their daughter throw that many innings needs to have their head examined.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Also not sure how you keep any other quality pitchers on the team, when they seemingly get no meaningful circle time. This would seem to ultimately limit the competitiveness of the team.

Pitching at the top tier of D1 is also changing and has been. Days of relying on one girl to throw 300 innings a season are gone.

Jun 8, 2016
Also not sure how you keep any other quality pitchers on the team, when they seemingly get no meaningful circle time. This would seem to ultimately limit the competitiveness of the team.

Pitching at the top tier of D1 is also changing and has been. Days of relying on one girl to throw 300 innings a season are gone.

They throw the other kids against teams which they think they will have no problem beating. Just by looking at who they play I can pretty much predict with 100% accuracy who starts . Unfortunately this isn't a singular case..I see this all the time with some of these 12U/14U "elite" teams. By 16's it seems like somebody wises up and realizes having more than 1 kid who can beat good teams is a good idea.

Also the 2nd pitcher is their 4th batter so she may be ok with minimal meaningful innings..

Jun 8, 2016
Unity does it with Heavener
The draw of a PGF championship and Extra Innings #1 ranking is too tempting for a lot of coaches...their egos get in the way.

Hell last year my 7 YO (at the time) was told (I saw the coach talk to him before the AB) to bat RH at the end of a game, even though he switch hits and at the moment with coach pitch just alternates every AB and it was his turn to bat LH, because at the time he was a bit better RH hitter and their chances of winning this all so important 8U coach pitch tournament game was better. I laid into Pastor Jared (the AC who told him to hit RH) after the game. He won't look at me anymore..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut