Safety Bag overrun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2012
I was wondering if someone could shed some light on a question that I have about the safety bag.
The play was a routine ground ball to SS, he proceeded to turn two, but his throw was a little high so 1st base pulled off the bag to get the ball. He secured the ball in his glove, as the runner proceeded to hit the (Orange) part of 1st, and overrun. As the firstbaseman was holding the ball, the runner that overran 1st, proceeded to 2nd. The Ump called the ball out of play but the firstbaseman had the ball in his glove in fair territory, yes he jumped off the bag to get it.
So with that background being said, my question is. "When a safety bag is overran, do the runner have to touch the white portion of the 1st base to advance to 2nd?

Jun 22, 2008
Your description of the play is a little confusing and really has nothing to do with the answer to your question about the safety base. No, the batter/runner does not have to retouch the white portion of the base before advancing.

Jun 22, 2010
The Ump called the ball out of play but the firstbaseman had the ball in his glove in fair territory, yes he jumped off the bag to get it.
I'm guessing this is one of the parts Comp found confusing; I certainly do.

Anyway, as Comp says, no, the batter-runner need not touch the white part of the bag in this situation. In fact, I'm trying hard to think of ANY situation where ANY runner HAS to touch the white part of the bag, and I'm pretty sure there isn't one. (All this is speaking ASA.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves