RVP connection point position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
No point, just showing the discussion goes back years and years.

What do you see as multiple errors? Don't take the frames reference to literally, the writing is spaced out to get the words in. It doesn't mean that specific frame reference. It's more of a generally action, in the clip above it's a reference to swinging a bat is similar to a flail-like action and bat whip.

I like your Frank clip.

It isn't just the wording not matching up with the frames .... such as contact labelled well after contact ..... but the sequence of the flail is off as well .... in fact, where it speaks of a "transition from flail" is in reality a "transition to flail" .... and what is labelled as the "flail portion of the swing" is the "around" ... and from my perspective, attempting to "flail" at this point is what leads to "bat drag".

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Your thinking of a flail in the wrong terms in regards to the clip. The flail is a whip like action done with a tighter sequence. I see how your looking at the flail action as well. That is not how the clip is intended to be viewed.

I do see your point.

However a flail like action should be viewed as a tighter sequence then that of a pure whip.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My daughter and Bonds in the RVP connection point...

This picture is of Casey junior year of college, summer ball.
You turn that corner just a little bit, get into the rvp connection point, this happens before wrist, barrel release...good things have a chance to happen.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
So the hands I see are higher than the back shoulder, and slightly outside the shoulders, not inside the shoulder area.

So the hands are falling back some on the rotation of the torso, adding some additional whip.

To much, and you drag that bat through the zone, not enough would be a push.

Donny used to talk about staying connected by the front arm.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My daughter and Bonds in the RVP connection point...

This picture is of Casey junior year of college, summer ball.
You turn that corner just a little bit, get into the rvp connection point, this happens before wrist, barrel release...good things have a chance to happen.

Straightleg

These two individuals are not at the same point in the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Your thinking of a flail in the wrong terms in regards to the clip. The flail is a whip like action done with a tighter sequence. I see how your looking at the flail action as well. That is not how the clip is intended to be viewed.

I do see your point.

However a flail like action should be viewed as a tighter sequence then that of a pure whip.

It is possible that we are using the term "flail" to describe different portions of the swing.

Let me explain what I am describing in the swing by the word "flail" here. If you would, please follow up and describe the action taking place with your usage of the word "flail".

First, this is my view of a flail ....

_MG_8414_1.jpg

Basically I view a flail instrument as two sticks tied together with a leather strap which serves as a hinge.

flail.gif

The flail can basically serve as a weapon in which movement of the bottom stick leads to whipping of the top stick.

In the portion of the swing below, the bottom stick is the right forearm, the leather strap serving as a hinge is the right wrist/hand, and the top stick is the bat. From the perspective of the rear arm, the barrel is being flailed at this point in the swing.

33bgthj.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I show my daughter and yes she is in box.
You have 10,000 posts. Any proof you work with hitters yet?

SL, I truly would like to keep this on a technical level.

Your claim that your daughter is in the RVP Connection Point Position in the above photo is not correct. It suggests a misunderstanding on your part of the RVP Connection Point Position.

We have evidence that you have instructed .... see your student below. Honestly, this instruction isn't anything to brag about.

2co0sbq.gif

Take note of the vertically stacked rear arm. Yet another misunderstanding ... but hopefully something that has been improved on since that instruction.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
5frames,

Yes, technically you are correct. The flail in the swing I posted was just used in a different context. I posted it because it involved connection. Which was the intent of the post. Combining connection with whip, a flail, tighter connection then a pure whip.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
am I wrong when I say that I do not like the hands to fall behind the shoulder turn?

If you get a good body whip, good overlap, good x factor, if the arms fall behind with the hands , would that not a "disconnection from the energy produced by all the previous motion, breaking the kinetic chain?

Or, does the hands falling behind and besides the rear shoulder Help the whip? I should say, "besides the shoulder"

at this point, I like to teach hands staying connected to shoulder rotation and a strong pivot like Bustos teaches, even though I know nothing about Bustos, except for what is posted here, I have come up with it myself, which lends me to believe, I am close.

Do not try to read that because of my connection thoughts, that the hands are not active, I just like the front arm to remain stable, and not get long, to soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse