Runners under a "decoy" rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
On the request for INT, which is a much more entertaining story to tell, it was a HTBT play on a runner going from 2B to 3B as the SS was attempting to make the play. My judgment was no INT. After play, DC calls time and comes out to me and this is how the conversation generally went:

DC: Blue, why wasn't that obstruction on the SS?
Me: Because the SS was fielding the ball.
DC: I thought I saw you with your left arm out?
Me: No coach, you did not.
DC: But why? Can you go ask your partner?
Me: Sure (I yell down to the plate from C) "Partner did you have obstruction on the SS?
Partner: NO!
Me: Anything else coach?
He just looked at me shaking his head and walked away.

You missed a big opportunity. Should have said, "so coach, you want me to call obstruction?" When the he says "yes", turn toward your partner, stick out your left arm, announce the obstruction and that the runner stays at 3rd base. You think he was shaking his head before :)

However, as bit more of funtime umpire story telling , all of the above occurred on Saturday. On Sunday, I went back to, and probably remain, in bad standing with him when he began arguing with me (in his elimination game) that the hands are part of the bat. After about 30-45 seconds of me attempting to clarify for him, he insisted I call the UIC over for a ruling of which I was very happy to do. We all know, or should know, how that turned out. :)

You are right, but after some of the UIC stories I've been hearing lately......... ;)

May 10, 2010
Actually had this happen. Runner on 2nd. We are on the 3rd base side and a base hit to right. Right fielder muffs the ball so I send the runner home. Mean while the ball is cut by the 2nd basemen and throws home. The catcher misses the ball and it goes to the back stop and rolls towards the on deck batter. She trips trying to get out the way and the catcher makes contact at the dug out entrance. Runner scores and the home plate umpire calls her out for INT by the on deck batter. I argued for sake of arguing and was probably wrong, but never in 20 years have I seen that.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
You missed a big opportunity. Should have said, "so coach, you want me to call obstruction?" When the he says "yes", turn toward your partner, stick out your left arm, announce the obstruction and that the runner stays at 3rd base. You think he was shaking his head before :)

You are right, but after some of the UIC stories I've been hearing lately......... ;)

That is indeed a good one. Filing that one away for the next coach. I might reconsider based on temperment though, dont want him or her to launch directly into lunar orbit or internally combust right there on the field. :)

As a footnote, there was a great line I heard from a dad during one of my plate games that I'm sure to use somewhere. Not sure if it was her dad or not, P throws a rainbow changeup at one point but it arcs in too high so I call it a ball. Catcher was of course doing her best attempt at framing the artwork. There are the usual oohs and ahhs and "nice pitch!" from the defensive side and of course the obligatory "good eye!" from the offensive side. The bucket brigade was also up in arms about it. After that dies down, mind you this all happens within a few seconds, there is a pause and it is somewhat quiet. This lone male voice says calmly and deliberately: "Hey..blue...that pitch was meant to fool the batter buddy". I never turned around or flinched, but I did have a sizable grin on my face.

This gets me thinking, do we have an umpires story thread around here anywhere? I for one love hearing about others experiences and some of the different responses to some of the more humorous situations.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Actually had this happen. Runner on 2nd. We are on the 3rd base side and a base hit to right. Right fielder muffs the ball so I send the runner home. Mean while the ball is cut by the 2nd basemen and throws home. The catcher misses the ball and it goes to the back stop and rolls towards the on deck batter. She trips trying to get out the way and the catcher makes contact at the dug out entrance. Runner scores and the home plate umpire calls her out for INT by the on deck batter. I argued for sake of arguing and was probably wrong, but never in 20 years have I seen that.

Did the issue with the ODB actually prevent the defense from making a play on a runner? If not, it isn't interference. Some umpires are just too eager to punish a team.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Watching a friend's DD's D3 college game this past weekend I saw the HP umpire give a fan in the stands a 3-4 second "laser eye" treatment after a pitch call with which the fan disagreed vocally - loudly, but without using foul language or questioning the umpire's heritage. Predictably, it got real quiet real quick, but when the umpire returned his focus to the field another helpful fan noted "At least his hearing is 20/20."

Apr 23, 2012
Guys, I read this totally different than all of you. The definition of Interference is that the offense can not Impede, hinder or confuse the defense. By the batter running to first on a dropped third strike with less than 2 outs and first base occupied is grounds for Interference since the batter is deliberately trying to confuse the defense. Umpires here where I live have been instructed to yell batter is out when this happens to prevent the defense from throwing the ball to first and to stop the batter to running to first.
Hope this helps

Jun 22, 2008
Guys, I read this totally different than all of you. The definition of Interference is that the offense can not Impede, hinder or confuse the defense. By the batter running to first on a dropped third strike with less than 2 outs and first base occupied is grounds for Interference since the batter is deliberately trying to confuse the defense. Umpires here where I live have been instructed to yell batter is out when this happens to prevent the defense from throwing the ball to first and to stop the batter to running to first.
Hope this helps

It doesnt, because it is not against the rules and is addressed specifically as not being interference unless it actually interferes with a play.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Hope this helps

It isn't a matter of opinion. The rules specifically note this is not to be ruled interference. If the umpire wants to call the retired batter out, but should not be necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom