Runners 2nd and 3rd with flyball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
You would think the kids know how to tag up, but we were playing a 14U game this weekend and I told a girl to tag and she did as told, ran back to third and tagged base and proceeded to run home. She had no idea you had to wait until they caught the ball. Fortunately OF missed the catch. Later in the same tournament a runner asked if she had to wait for the catch or could just run. This is a B TB team, but both came straight from Rec with no all-stars. I know they both played Rec for great coaches so they should have known, but I at least know what to work on Tuesday.

Mar 26, 2013
Tagging the runner or 2B is a live-ball appeal. Dead-ball appeals can be made verbally, with or without the ball.
Depending on the rule set?
There are some differences on who can make a dead-ball appeal. ASA is only infielders (i.e. F1-6) while NFHS and NCAA are the coach or any defensive player. None of these require they have the ball.

On live-ball appeals, they need to indicate they are making an appeal and it's not part of making a play on the runner or a random act.

Jun 22, 2008
You would think the kids know how to tag up, but we were playing a 14U game this weekend and I told a girl to tag and she did as told, ran back to third and tagged base and proceeded to run home. She had no idea you had to wait until they caught the ball. Fortunately OF missed the catch. Later in the same tournament a runner asked if she had to wait for the catch or could just run. This is a B TB team, but both came straight from Rec with no all-stars. I know they both played Rec for great coaches so they should have known, but I at least know what to work on Tuesday.

Just to clarify, the rule is not they have to tag up until the ball is caught. They only have to wait until the ball is first touched by the defense, then they are free to advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55