Run Thru or Dive Head First to 1st Base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2012
I have seen a few College players diving head first to 1st base and I never understood why? Logic tells me that running thru is faster. I can understand diving back to avoid a tag, but not on the initial run to 1st. I'm an assistant coach for my daughters 12u team and the head coach wants our girls to learn sliding head first to 1st base to beat the throw down. In my opinion it's unsafe and slower. How am I wrong?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In my opinion it's unsafe and slower.

I am with you.

Only time to slide running to 1st is to avoid a tag, even then I would prefer the Players go feet first but we do not practice this.

Even if someone could convince me that head first is slightly faster, not worth the risk of injury, practice time or having the runner on the ground instead of their feet ready for an overthrow to the base.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have seen a few College players diving head first to 1st base and I never understood why? Logic tells me that running thru is faster. I can understand diving back to avoid a tag, but not on the initial run to 1st. I'm an assistant coach for my daughters 12u team and the head coach wants our girls to learn sliding head first to 1st base to beat the throw down. In my opinion it's unsafe and slower. How am I wrong?

I've never considered this as unsafe if the player knows what they are doing.

I don't think it is smart if the priority at the moment is speed as opposed to avoiding the tag. Running through seems to be faster, but if there is an errant throw, the erect runner is also a larger target for a sweep tag. This is where the coach has to help his BR with some direction.

Jul 11, 2009
I am almost certain that running through would be faster. The only time I think a head first slide should be expected is to avoid a pickoff. Otherwise it should be feet first. Much safer. Besides that I recall seeing somewhere, maybe on here, where some studies were done and feet first slides were faster than head first almost every single time. It was miniscule but still faster so why take the chance of a hand injury or worse yet, neck injury, when there is nothing to be gained by it?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

I would have said with 100% confidence run through it, but I saw more than a few college players dive. One Texas game had at least 5 dives to first. I am sticking to run through it though. I half suspect my dd of trying to get into close plays now so she can dive slide.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Unless you are trying to avoid a sweep tag on an errant throw, always safer and faster to run through.

They did an episode on sport science one time by the way that backed that up being faster to run through.

The only reason to slide into first would be if you see the ball being throw up the line and see the first baseman goes up the line and off the base and then all you are trying to do is avoid the tag so feet first would accomplish the same thing as head first.

As far as just trying to get there faster I think science tells us without a doubt running through is faster.

Jul 26, 2010
There were studies on this recently.

Basically the jist is that running through is indeed 50% faster then diving. IF the player superman dives into first base and hits first with their hands at peak speed with peak extension, then diving would be faster, however, in reality this is not what happens. In reality, the players dive and slide into the base. Sliding takes speed off, and is slower then accelerating through.

Think of this as if the winner of the Indy 500 slammed on the brakes and slid sideways over the finish line. More dramatic, sure, faster, no.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Running through 1st base will always be faster and running though prevents injuries associated with sliding!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi