Which 1st base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There are 2 umps. Batter hits a line drive single to CF and aggressively rounds 1st base. SS throws behind the runner diving back. Safe. 1st baseman holds tag on her and as she starts to stand up (supposedly) her hand is on the orange safety base only. Ump says nothing. Opposing coach calls time and goes out to talk to 1st base ump. Walking away he announces and points that, "you two (umps) need to talk". After a brief conversation, they call the runner out.
Is the orange base not part of the bag in this situation?
Also, if the 1st base ump saw her hand only on the orange base, why didn't he call her out there and then in real time?
Why do umps allow coaches to intimidate them? " you two need to talk". If I was the ump, I would have called her safe just to take control of the game. I mean who does this coach think he is? Telling the umps what they need to do. Umps please be stronger.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
USSSA 8.19. E. After the batter-runner initially reaches first base, the runner and any fielder may use the white or colored base. This shall include but is not limited to: 1. The runner returning to first base. 2. The runner tagging up on a fly ball. 3. The fielder making a play on a returning runner

Original call was correct.

Why do umps allow coaches to intimidate them? " you two need to talk". If I was the ump, I would have called her safe just to take control of the game. I mean who does this coach think he is? Telling the umps what they need to do. Umps please be stronger.

You are assuming the umpire 'allowed the coach to intimidate' him. Perhaps he was indeed unsure that he was correct. I can only presume what happened during the umpires' conference, but here goes:

Calling umpire (CU): "I have the runner's hand on the orange portion of the bag and I am pretty sure she can use either half once she initially reaches first, is that the way you understand the rule?"

Other Guy (OG): "Nope, I know for a fact that once the batter-runner reaches first base initially she and the defense must both use the white portion of the bag, you got that one wrong partner."

CU: "Dang, now I need to reverse myself. I am 99% sure I remember the rule correctly, but if you are 100% it is better that we get the call right. I will reverse it and take the heat"

OG (thinking to himself): "Hell I never did like that safety bag rule anyway, why can't they just use one bag like we did when I played baseball back in the day. Maybe I should have reviewed the rules before the season started. Dang is that ever a hottie in the stands behind the plate, I wonder if these pants make my backside look fat."

If I was the ump, I would have called her safe just to take control of the game. I mean who does this coach think he is? Telling the umps what they need to do.

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying. You want us, as umpires, to make a call that perhaps is wrong just to show we are in control? We should always presume that we remember the rules better than the coach?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
" Let me make sure I understand what you are saying. You want us, as umpires, to make a call that perhaps is wrong just to show we are in control? We should always presume that we remember the rules better than the coach? "

Well I don't know. How would you handle a coach pointing at the two umps and saying " you two need to talk".

Feb 13, 2021
MI
How would you handle a coach pointing at the two umps and saying " you two need to talk".

I would ask first if he was questioning my judgment or my understanding of the rule. After that, it depends on if I think my partner had a better view (if judgment was in question). If it is a rules question, am I 100% I have the rule right? If not, I will ask my partner for his understanding of the rule, AND THAT IS ALL I WILL ASK FOR, not his judgment on the play.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Umpires are right, even when they are wrong.

Thank goodness i figured that out at an early age :) ;) 👍

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It may not be with this exact situation, but don't certain rule sets differ on when each base can be used? Maybe it has to do with the runner running to first?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22