Run scores?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
10u. Runner on 3b. Batter believes she just saw ball four, drops the bat and proceeded to first. Coach sends her to 2b, pitcher throws the ball into center field. Run scores. After dust settles, umpire says hold on, that was only 3 balls and runner must go back to 3b. Coaches say run should score because everyone should know the count and it's still a live ball. Umpire agrees. Run scores. In my opinion, it was an honest mistake by the hitter. No bush league trickery and the umpire said he didn't believe it was intentional. Hitter claims umpire said full count before the pitch was thrown. Thoughts?

Umpire was correct in allowing the run. Also correct is that umpires don't, or at least shouldn't, use the term "full count", it is "3 balls, 2 strikes".

There is no rule forbidding the batter from heading toward 1B other than that requiring the batter keep one foot in the box between pitches. Worst case scenario, by rule, is that the umpire rules a strike on the batter, but that would have to occur prior to the runner scoring. That would all depend on how quickly the umpire and defense caught on the to situation being played out in front of them.

I agree that an umpire on the ball and aware it was only ball 3 would have called the batter back immediately.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
There is no rule forbidding ....... other than that requiring the batter keep one foot in the box between pitches.

This is great rule in concept, but i have yet to meet an umpire who enforces this in 7 years of softball.

99% of the time the batter steps out, takes a couple of practice swings, gets the sign from the third base coach and then steps back in. Rinse and repeat every game.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
This is great rule in concept, but i have yet to meet an umpire who enforces this in 7 years of softball.

99% of the time the batter steps out, takes a couple of practice swings, gets the sign from the third base coach and then steps back in. Rinse and repeat every game.

This is one of the rules that umpires keep "in the toolbox" to pull out and use when needed.
If there is no delay to the game, there is no need to use this rule...

Nov 8, 2014
I don't see this rule in NFHS rules. There is a ten second rule and a rule prohibiting leaving the box when the pitcher is on the plate. Any NFHS umpires disagree with that?

Dec 19, 2012
10u. Runner on 3b. Batter believes she just saw ball four, drops the bat and proceeded to first. Coach sends her to 2b, pitcher throws the ball into center field. Run scores. After dust settles, umpire says hold on, that was only 3 balls and runner must go back to 3b. Coaches say run should score because everyone should know the count and it's still a live ball. Umpire agrees. Run scores. In my opinion, it was an honest mistake by the hitter. No bush league trickery and the umpire said he didn't believe it was intentional. Hitter claims umpire said full count before the pitch was thrown. Thoughts?

Some rec leagues do not allow a runner to "steal" home at 10u. Other than this additional rule the runner on 3rd scores with the information you provided.

Jun 12, 2015
I have no idea as far as official rules got but if it were my DD pitching I'd consider it a lesson learned and take the run without argument. She and her catcher need to know the count. Bet they will next time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00