"Run her over!"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it has always been the same; it just depends on who you run into. If anything I think I have more control now to get someone kicked off the field or banned then I did 20 years ago.

(By the way 20 years ago I was a 3 YOA so I might not remember correctly)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think it has always been the same; it just depends on who you run into. If anything I think I have more control now to get someone kicked off the field or banned then I did 20 years ago.

(By the way 20 years ago I was a 3 YOA so I might not remember correctly)

Wait a minute, you're 23 with a 12 year old DD?

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I know some Umps who, if they feel contact was intentional and done to bring harm on purpose, will eject a player.
I do not see how any umpire in this case would not warn a coach before something bad happens. BTW...As stated by others...
THERE IS NO Interference or Obstruction calls until an incident actually occurs. You cannot do something about someone standing somewhere you do not like.....They might move once the ball is hit.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
People always complain about how bad things are, but...

I've coached more than a 1000 softball games and probably another 1000 basketball/soccer/baseball games...and I don't have a clue how many games I've watched. The truth is that I've seen only a handful of idiots coaching teams.

Idiots tends to be more memorable than the nice, responsible people who do almost all of the coaching.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2012

I've coached more than a 1000 softball games and probably another 1000 basketball/soccer/baseball games...and I don't have a clue how many games I've watched.

Out of all those games, I've only seen a handful of idiots. Idiots tends to be more memorable than the nice, responsible people who do most of the coaching.

Very true, I completely agree with this assessment.

I've coached more than a 1000 softball games and probably another 1000 basketball/soccer/baseball games...and I don't have a clue how many games I've watched. The truth is that I've seen only a handful of idiots coaching teams.

Idiots tends to be more memorable than the nice, responsible people who do almost all of the coaching.

I think I have met most of them.

Nov 29, 2009
What I coach my girls to do when a defender is blocking a base or basepath without the ball is run into them. I tell them to bump the girl just hard enough to make it obvious to the umpire they were obstructed without wiping the other player out. I make sure they know they can't knock her off her feet and try to hurt her, just give them enough of a nudge to make it obvious.

Mar 8, 2012
Same here as Sparky. If the umpire would make an obstruction call without contact, I would say avoid the contact. But since most umpires won't call OBS without contact, you need to make some when it is clearly OBS.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While I will certainly agree that the bench coach was out of line telling his player to 'run her over', the bottom line is the SS is not allowed to hinder the progress of the baserunner unless she is making a play on the ball. You need to get her to play a step in front or a couple of steps behind the base path. If she plays behind the basepath, you need to make sure your SS knows she has the 'right of way' if she is making a play on the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heatherann2006