Run Down Pickle drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2009
Hey, wondering if could get some tips on run down techniques. Particulary when the runner is between 3b and home. 1b and 2b. Any fun drills ect... Useing p,c, ss, 3b and p, 1b, 2b, ss.

Thanks
Cm Swarm

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I saw one between 3rd and home ran incorrectly, yesterday. The 3rd baseman ran the runner toward home and then over threw the catcher. Run scored.

I teach this - if the catcher has thrown to 3rd, the 3rd baseman throws the ball back to the catcher. 3rd or SS covers 3rd. Catcher runs right at the runner, showing the ball in her throwing hand. 3rd baseman, will call for the ball and put the tag on. Pitcher is backing up home.

Always chase the runner back to the base that she came from. Do not throw the ball more than twice.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I break the Players into 2 Teams.

The runner lies on their back in the middle of 2 bases. The fielder with the ball lies on their back @30 feet from the runner. The rest of the Players on the defensive Team can be anywhere they want, obviously they should be on 1 of the 2 bases, or behind one of the bases backing the current fielder up.

Coach yells go.

If the runner advances to the better base they get 3 points. If they get to the lesser base they get 1 point. If they are out, no points. After both Teams field, Team with the higher point total wins.

After you do this a handful of times points are hard to come by.

Feb 17, 2011
i have always used "go where you throw". 3rd base example. runner has led off to much and catcher fires to third... pitcher comes to plate while catcher follows ball to third... third has ball and works runner and throws home to pitcher and follows ball home... pitcher works runner back to third throwing only if good chance of pick off. 1st backs plate... ss backs third. not a lot of running around and two or three throws and there is either an out or runner back on third with pitcher with ball in hand going to circle.

Sep 10, 2010
yea, i do a variation of follow your throw and collapsing the pocket, as long as no bad throws we have been able to get the out..

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Those are all good ones. Oh...tell the fast girls on your team if they can run them down to run them down. Two weeks ago in a 10U game the fastest player on the field by far (my short stop) was 1.5 steps from the runner who was less than half way back to send and...tossed the ball to second instead of just tagging her. runner safe at two on a bad throw. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 26, 2010
It's probably a good idea to start with teaching them how to throw off the front foot while throwing on the run BEFORE you teach them rundown drills.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez