Rules every coach should know cold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
* over-running first base (turning left or right )
* "Hands are part of the bat"

Had an umpire insist 'hands are an extension of the bat' when he called foul ball when my DD got hit on the wrist with an inside pitch.... with her hands inside the batters box. He even confirmed she was hit in the hands when I asked if she was hit in the hands.... but wouldn't give her the base.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
The entire portion of all chalk lines are all on the "in play side" of the field...not the centerline of the chalk line...the entire chalk line. Lots of folks run the machine over the center of their sting line. The batters box goes to the outer edge of the chalk lines.

Nov 15, 2013
The coach should also know the rules for special cases. For example, there are a handful of girls who are natural righties who sometimes bat lefty. Not very many coaches or umpires know the rules for when a girl switches mid-at-bat. She is allowed to do so if and only if she gets the ump to call time. If she jumps across the plate when the ball is live the ump may call her out.

If a coach has a girl who switch hits, the coach should make sure before the game that the player and the ump understand the rules.

Had this happen a bunch this weekend. Left handed batters would just walk right across the plate after they got a second strike on them, and the umpires didn't do a thing. Was getting annoyed, but I'm just a spectator. Can't do much about it.

Jun 22, 2008
Had this happen a bunch this weekend. Left handed batters would just walk right across the plate after they got a second strike on them, and the umpires didn't do a thing. Was getting annoyed, but I'm just a spectator. Can't do much about it.

Read the follow ups because that is not the rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi